Liver?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver?!

I read all around that liver is very healthy to eat. Back in my mind I know that but there is a huge but for me...

ever since all the crazy deseases starting to hit the animal world I have sworn off all organ meat. No liver, no bone marrow in the soup, ect... I'm deadly afraid of foods like that...

Also I'm utter terrified to even eat a bite of liver... just because I know that I'm eating it...

Is there something else I can eat that has the same nutritional value?

or are there recipes that make me forget that it's liver I'm eating
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Make it into pâté with caramelised onions & butter and get some crispy bacon to use as ur dip !

Not really nutritional wise
    liver is no1 , sardines no2 .

Go for best quality liver u can get ur hands on

Also soaking in salted water removed any impurities in bone marrow and offal.

From London England UK

Comment

Marielle..I feel badly that you are so fearful of so much food. Be afraid to walk down the street, but please don't be afraid of liver, offal and bones. Yikes.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

it is just another part of the animal. my dog eats the liver over the fillets any day and we have fights over the liver and the heart. but i am nice. i let him have half of it lol seriously, i eat the liver, heart and kidneys of wild animals who've never been drenched or fed anti biotics in their lives and i am still alive and kicking.

liver can be a challenge flavourwise to people not used to it. i reckon start on chicken liver and make pate. once you get into it, work your way up to rumminants like sheep. venison liver is the absolute bomb but it is very hard to get.

Comment

Also I'm utter terrified to even eat a bite of liver
          Hello, what is terrifying about that ? I would rather be afraid to slip in my wet shower and bump my head badly ... which of course, I don't think about since I don't take showers ... just kidding, I do but I don't think of slipping on the wet floor

My advice: just eat it, chill out and enjoy the vitamin boost!

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
            it is just another part of the animal. my dog eats the liver over the fillets any day and we have fights over the liver and the heart. but i am nice. i let him have half of it lol seriously, i eat the liver, heart and kidneys of wild animals who've never been drenched or fed anti biotics in their lives and i am still alive and kicking.

liver can be a challenge flavourwise to people not used to it. i reckon start on chicken liver and make pate. once you get into it, work your way up to rumminants like sheep. venison liver is the absolute bomb but it is very hard to get.
            My dog loves liver offal anything heart !!! He goes mad , in fact Next time I cook some overcooked lean meat & have some raw liver . I will test it out but my money is on the liver. Even next to fish skin & lean expensive meat he will choose the skin / fat option .

From London England UK

Comment

I grew up eating liver and I love it. If you have a problem with it, try calves liver instead of beef liver, it's milder in taste. So is lamb's liver, if you can get it at your store.

Also, grind up your liver and mix it with ground beef for a great hamburger patty. That way you don't have the mental image of eating a slab of liver.
              "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

I read all around that liver is very healthy to eat. Back in my mind I know that but there is a huge but for me...

ever since all the crazy deseases starting to hit the animal world I have sworn off all organ meat. No liver, no bone marrow in the soup, ect... I'm deadly afraid of foods like that...

Also I'm utter terrified to even eat a bite of liver... just because I know that I'm eating it...

Is there something else I can eat that has the same nutritional value?

or are there recipes that make me forget that it's liver I'm eating
                The only foods to be afraid of aren't actually food anyway (synthetic trans fats, you know the list!). If it came directly from an animal (aka natural trans fats, you know that list, too!), or certain plants, you're good! Barring venemous glands in snakes, some animals' digestive tracts, yada yada.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesteak View Post
                  Also, grind up your liver and mix it with ground beef for a great hamburger patty. That way you don't have the mental image of eating a slab of liver.
                  This might be a good idea. I'll ask the butcher to do it so that I don't even have to see the liver... For me hiding the foods I'm afraid off usually works great.
                  My story, My thought....

Comment

What is it you are afraid of anyways? If you approach your fears as a question to be answered and not a monster to be feared you can face them and slay them. I am having steak liver and heart pie for breakfast without the pie crust.
                    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Well... my first fear is the fact that organ meat contains a lot of pathogens. It's clinically proved that if the animal isn't healthy the bug is to be found in the organs .. but I can find meat where I know where it's coming from

Second is that I have an issue textures and that doesn't look so good... (it makes me shudder)

Last is trying new things. I'm really afraid of buying something and than having to throw it away because I don't like it. ( most of the time this mind set greats a downward spiral)

But like I said maybe I can do the minced meat with liver and pâté

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                      My story, My thought....

Comment

The texture is unique , depend how it's cooked but 4 me crisp outside , a little & pink & butter like.

Partner it with sweet onions, & salty bacon & squeeze over little lemon 4 some sharpness

From London England UK

Comment

Bone marrow may be one of the best indulgences ever. I agree with you, though, I would want to trust my source. For a few bucks, I can indulge in something that is totally expensive in a nice restaurant. And it couldn't be easier to make - roast in oven with a little salt. Delicious.

I made chili out of beef heart once, and the taste was fantastic. When you're handling the raw product, you can almost smell how it's going to be the beefiest beef you ever ate. Ever the sloth, I did not find cutting it and removing the connective tissue much fun. So it's not going to be a regular in my freezer, but not because of taste.

Chicken livers are my favorite because they are easy to cook and get right and they taste fantastic. I've tried bison and lamb liver, and though the taste is just as good, they are more finicky and require more care to not dry out.

I agree that factory animal organs might be something to avoid, and I would even skip bone broth if I only had access to factory bones, but that's just me. And I'll probably never try cow brain because of the disease issue. But there's no mad lambs or goats that we know of, so I'd be up for that.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I get whole pig's heads and grind them into souse. You could try that.

Comment

I recently got a few pounds of liver from a friend who raises grass-fed cows. I made the mistake of mixing it at a 1:1 ratio with ground beef in a meatloaf-- WAY TOO LIVER-Y. Turns out I'm not the biggest fan of the taste of liver. From what I've read, mixing about a 1/4 pound of ground liver to one pound of beef is ideal, and the magic spice seems to be smoked paprika. I'm reattempting that soon.

Overall, dumping it into a food processor (or, like you said, getting a butcher to do it) and mixing it with other meat is a pretty seamless way to get organ meats into your diet without being too "creepy" for the uninitiated. Once you get the hang of that, you might be more comfortable with moving into more squeamish territory.
                              Madam von Sassypants is journaling and shiz.
                              Frequently found there: links to delicious recipes, overenthusiasm, swear words, constant conflict from working for a craft brewery, and overall, the perspective of a lady who's been primal for over two years and is finally tackling an 18-month-old plateau.

Comment

Working...
                              X