Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candy? what does a sweet-toothed cavemen eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candy? what does a sweet-toothed cavemen eat?

All over the internet I find primal recipes for snack and especially candy (made from coconut, nuts, honey, chocolate, etc.).

I was wondering do you all eat these things? do they fit into your weight loss diet? and especially what do you eat for snack and candy?

as this is the recipe area I would like to hear some recipes...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Surprised at lack of replies!

As steak and eggs as I am, I still enjoy quite a bit of quality, soy-free dark chocolate. Lately my wife has been making us some Oopsie bread (eggs and cream cheese, it gets fluffy like bread, pretty cool!) and now that my palate is healed of SAD, fruit is the treat it should be. I ate three or four plums the other day and they were amazing.

And I make kombucha jello.

I'm sure the Peat crowd has better junk food ideas than me, they do specialize in that field.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Fruit, dark chocolate. Good organic ice cream very occasionally on workout days.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

Oh, yeah! Almost forgot about quality ice cream. We just moderate it so we end up eating about once a week at most. Because, even if made with great ingredients, it does lack protein and for some people, will disappear like chaff without satisfying.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
          I was wondering do you all eat these things? do they fit into your weight loss diet? and especially what do you eat for snack and candy?
          Culture, nostalgia, and celebration are parts of life. The purpose of the primal recipes is to acknowledge those without toxic junk casting a shadow over the occasion. But I don't think anyone expects fat loss when preparing and eating them alone. The closest thing to treats I make are coconut milk ice cream and (nongrain) mug cakes.

If I want a dessert for myself I'll just have a very simple fruit + fat combo
          1) halve a nectarine
          2) fill cavities with macadamia butter
          3) achieve enlightenment
          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I don't really have these things. I do sweeten my yogurt 2/3 of the time with xylitol, I eat quite many fruits during summer, but I am no fan of nuts, dried fruits, etc. Winter is coming and I will probably decrease even more the sweet foods ... but I have pikced a lot of raspberries a couple of months ago, I will probably make some home-made jam for winter

Comment

Jelly ... when wild berries are in season, great, otherwise from red grape juice ... sometimes fortified with red wine.

No need for extra sugar - just get juice and set it with gelatine. Drop in wild berries if they're available.
              Paul
              http://www.pjgh.co.uk
              http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Whole Medjool dates stuffed with either cashews, walnuts or almonds.

Comment

Some full fat greek yogurt with some berries and organic honey on top.
                  "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

I make treats with coconut oil, shred coconut, hemp flour, stevia, cinnamon, raw cacao, coconut flour, eggs... Not always at the same time, but if you did happen to throw those all together and put it in a greased, coconutted cake pan, you'd get a bitchin coffee cake

Comment

Green tea with honey is pretty boss, too.

And we have some antiquated, crystallizing Torani chocolate syrup we're trying to use up before it goes bad, and I occasionally plop some into my coffee. It's rare, though. Probably three months since I had that.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Dark chocolate and desserts made with gelatin (favorite: coconut milk + stevia + coconut sugar). I eat fruit as well. If I want ice cream I get a small size of something good and high quality.

When I first went primal I baked a lot of "paleo treats" but decided that trying to make a decent choco chip cookie is really not worth the trouble and basically weaned myself off of traditional desserts and the concept that I must have some semblance of bread/pancake/etc in my life. Now I occasionally eat treats that are mostly primal (like ice cream and dark choco) and maybe eat gluten free goods once every 2-3 months.
                        ------
                        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Dark chocolate. Primarily for me, anyway. Love that stuff, but I'm not really a fan of sweet things.

There's also:
                          Gelatin
                          Dried fruit
                          Baked fruit
                          Ice cream
                          Baked fruit stuffed with dried fruit served with ice cream.
                          Darker chocolate.
                          Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                          https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                          MFP Food Diary:
                          http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                          (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
                            All over the internet I find primal recipes for snack and especially candy (made from coconut, nuts, honey, chocolate, etc.).

as this is the recipe area I would like to hear some recipes...
                            Dark chocolate! (Or a chocolate mouse or pot de creme if you want to go crazy). Everything else other than fruit ( and dates yum!) is not strictly primal and just a treat.

(Ice cream too I guess but I'm not a big ice cream person).

Comment

My wife makes cookies with almond flour and dark chocolate chips. So good!

Comment

Working...
                              X