Palm shortening ok?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palm shortening ok?

I have a recipe that calls for palm shortening. Is it good fat?
    Last edited by Waterlily; 09-02-2013, 01:47 PM.
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

Not as far as I'm aware. Use lard, butter or coconut oil instead?

Comment

I think it is okay. I see it Paleo recipe books, But I might be wrong.

Comment

Red Palm oil is very okay (except for the endangered Orangatan thing so it does matter where it's sourced) and when I googled the shortening, it looked very okay as well. They simply remove something to make it thicker. I have made an awesome chicken dish with red palm oil. Dont try it straight..blech, but great in a recipe.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

it's ok
          Make America Great Again

Comment

Not if it is hydrogenated. Palm oil is fine, but I have heard it doesn't taste very good. Maybe try coconut oil.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Palm oil is awesome in recipes. Togo Chicken is a good one.

Comment

If it isn't hydrogenated, it's definitely a good fat. Tallow's still better, but has more taste, and harder to come by. Mostly saturated, very stable, high smoke point, from a tropical plant. These are what you want. Agree about the poor orangutans. Find one that's organic and orangutan-friendly if you can.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  If it isn't hydrogenated, it's definitely a good fat. Tallow's still better, but has more taste, and harder to come by. Mostly saturated, very stable, high smoke point, from a tropical plant. These are what you want. Agree about the poor orangutans. Find one that's organic and orangutan-friendly if you can.
                  Who said anything about hydrogenated? It has been brought up twice now. Is that commen to Red Palm Oil or is it the shortening word that brings that up.

Last edited by oceangrl; 09-04-2013, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                    Who said anything about hydrogenated? It has been brought up twice now. Is that commen to Red Palm Oil or is it the shortening word that brings that up.
                    I don't think the red version is available in a hydrogenated format. The word "shortening" is definitely a red flag, but "hydrogenated palm oil" can definitely be found on food labels from time to time, and should be avoided. While "palm oil" or "palm kernel oil" are fine. I don't know if anybody hydrogenates the red stuff, that would be news to me.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Yes, the word shortening is what got me worried. I will make sure it's not hydrogenated. It's for a paleo desert recipe (crust), so I will stick with the recipe as pastries are quite specific for ingredients. As I understand, it makes it crispy as opposed to soft with coconut oil. Thanks for ourangutans info, I will be careful.
                      Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

Comment

I use palm shortening (non-hydrogenated) for cookies when I make them for the non-primal members of the family. I like that it doesn't make them flat like pancakes as opposed to coconut oil. Don't get me wrong... I love CO, use it all the time and buy it by the gallon. I also render and use tallow and use butter liberally.
                        Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          I don't think the red version is available in a hydrogenated format. The word "shortening" is definitely a red flag, but "hydrogenated palm oil" can definitely be found on food labels from time to time, and should be avoided. While "palm oil" or "palm kernel oil" are fine. I don't know if anybody hydrogenates the red stuff, that would be news to me.
                          Oh I have only seen the red version. It's already quite thick so not sure why a recipe would call for shortening version. If you google it, you'll see the shortening process seems harmless.

Comment

No, no, no! Palm oil of any description is not OK. I live just out of Malaysia and the devastation that palm oil plantations have caused to our rain forests simply defies explanation. I drove for an hour in central Borneo a month back and saw nothing but palm trees where there should have been lush Forrest. It is not OK, I encourage everyone to boycott this product.

Comment

Is it not also harvested in places that does not cause such devastation? Instead of such a drama post, how about calming down and educating us.

Comment

Working...
                              X