dog bones for bone broth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dog bones for bone broth?

my local butcher gives bags of "dog bones" for free, they are mainly beef as far as I can tell and various leg bits. not much meat on them but plenty of marrow. Are these the right sort of bone for making bone broth?

As long as they're raw (not treated), they should be great! To make bone broth, you just need bones & cartilage, the meat is not necessary.
    Depression Lies

Comment

I use them, they're the cheapest ones at my market.

Comment

I try not to eat dog bones but cat is quite tasty
        Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
        www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
          I try not to eat dog bones but cat is quite tasty
          Lol

Thanks guys, slow cooker is busy with a shoulder of pork tomorrow but I can do bone broth overnight can't I? Ooh, kitchen will smell gooood in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by laurathegoth View Post
            Lol

Thanks guys, slow cooker is busy with a shoulder of pork tomorrow but I can do bone broth overnight can't I? Ooh, kitchen will smell gooood in the morning!
            Laura with beef bones let it cook on low for 38-48 hours. I do chicken bone broth (with 4 slices of marrow bones added) for 24 hours and it's perfectly gelatinous. All beef bones will take longer.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I love using "dog" bones! My butcher usually bags up the the hock joints (back knee) for the dog bones so they have tons of cartilage, and they are dirt cheap (something like 50 cents a pound or less). Plus, the dog loves occasionally getting a treat.
              See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                Laura with beef bones let it cook on low for 38-48 hours. I do chicken bone broth (with 4 slices of marrow bones added) for 24 hours and it's perfectly gelatinous. All beef bones will take longer.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
                Thanks for that info

Comment

Working...
                X