No announcement yet.

How to get extra crispy bacon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done all methods. Broiling, baking and frying. But for me frying has the best taste adding a little coconut oil or ghee. I have it every day, even as a child. I cook it low enough that it doesn't spit much. On a back slice I cut slices in it so it lies flat.
    Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
    Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

another vote for baking in oven.

Comment

I've been pan frying bacon for 30 years and started baking it in the oven about a year ago. No turning back! I love using the oven. I get especially good results using the convection setting.

Comment

Buy a cast iron bacon press. Keeps it flat and cooked even
          I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

What temperature should I set my oven at?
            Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

Comment

Set the oven to 400. The trick, though, is to put the bacon in when the oven is cold. Otherwise it will burn. I leave it in for about 10-15 minutes depending on crispness preferred. Works like a charm every time!

Comment

Thanks!
                Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

Comment

I always cook my bacon on stove top. It makes a huge mess though b/c the grease flies everywhere, but I've found that it gives me the crispiness that I like. I cook it on medium, maybe a little lower if it starts to pop a lot. All of the fat liquifying usually ends up kind of deep frying the bacon in the pan to give it a really nice crisp.
                  DD born August 2012
                  TTC #2
                  SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
                  CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
                  Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
                  Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

Originally posted by LisaLS View Post
                    I always cook my bacon on stove top. It makes a huge mess though b/c the grease flies everywhere, but I've found that it gives me the crispiness that I like. I cook it on medium, maybe a little lower if it starts to pop a lot. All of the fat liquifying usually ends up kind of deep frying the bacon in the pan to give it a really nice crisp.
                    I bought a pan spatter cover for just that reason. Not perfect but a lot better.
                    Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                    Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.

Comment

After this thread I re-tried the oven method from cold. I agree it is great, but I find the bacon goes to nothing...... I can eat a whole tray full, like 10 rashers LOL where panfried I only have 3 usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
                        I bought a pan spatter cover for just that reason. Not perfect but a lot better.
                        Yeah, we really need to invest in one of those

And I agree... oven cooking bacon is ok, but I found that the fat on it melts instead of getting crispy so you're left with less.
                        DD born August 2012
                        TTC #2
                        SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
                        CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
                        Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
                        Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

Comment

Working...
                        X