Indian food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian food

In the UK, there is a new tv cooking series on bbc1 with rick stein touring India .
    It's a great show and fantastic cook book on amazon for 12 .
    The Indian have amazing philosophy and do have some primal ways . The love of coconut, ghee, tempering the spices, uses of herbs.

I use to think Indian food was just ur tikka Marsala or vindaloo but has opened new side .
    I've tried few recipes already and they are fantastic !

London UK

What day and what time? Love a good curry..

Comment

Series has just finished but it will be on bbc iplayer

London UK

Comment

Two words: Butter chicken.

M.

Comment

right,Series has just finished but it will be on bbc iplayer. thank you

Comment

co-incidentally i had been looking at the BBC Food website for recipes. the rick stein india ones are here
            BBC - Food - Recipe finder : No results[]=b033rhzh10

Comment

Buy the book via amazon 12

London UK

Comment

Just buy the book 12 amazon

London UK

Comment

I love Indian food! I learned to cook it from the mother of one of my housemates when I was at university. Once a month she would come for a visit with a car load of food, and then she would cook a HUGE Indian meal for the 12 of us that were sharing the house. I would be stood behind her, watching everything she did and taking notes...
                  Most of it was not what you would eat in a typical Indian resturant - it was real home cooking.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

Comment

I worked for an Indian man who's wife made us Bidini (bidiani?) before. Was pretty great.

M.

Comment

MEversberg, you must be talking about about biryani. My husband was Indian, and his grandparents and other retired relatives had nothing better to do than cook all day long. I got half fat growing up on my Ukrainian grandmother's homemade pierogi. My Indian in-laws did the rest...curries, korma, samosa, desserts so sweet I couldn't eat them (like gulab jamoon). But shrimp biryani was my favorite.
                      As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Comment

Yep, that's the stuff. They were pure vegetarian so it never had any meat in it, but it was good none the less. Kind of wish that job had given me more opportunities to be introduced to Gujarati culture, but that didn't come to fruition. Oh well.

Now, Ukrainian food I know nothing of. Except Borscht. Because Lord of War. I think Kefir is consumed there as well.

Research time...

M.

Comment

When I was studying Taijiquan, my teacher had me accompany him to a class he no longer had time to teach and slowly had me take over. One of my students was Indian and she had me over for supper several times. Even though she was raised in eastern Africa, I believe, her husband was from Gujarat and that was the style she cooked. Her suppers were delicious, even though they were also strictly vegetarian, I enjoyed the meals thoroughly. I also enjoyed the culture she taught me, such as being barefoot in the kitchen, eating with only one hand and using roti, instead of utensils and we ate off metal plates.

The class broke up and I haven't seen her in years, but it was her way of paying me, since I refused to charge money for the classes. I really miss eating Indian food, since my husband isn't a fan and this was the only way I got to have it.

Comment

Working...
                          X