Vegetarian Primal dinners?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetarian Primal dinners?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to make for my sister and her family while they're staying with me? I offered to make supper this weekend, but I'd prefer not to make them pasta. I'd like to make them something primal and delicious, but they're lacto-ovo vegetarians. Also, my brother in law won't eat mushrooms. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Eggs it is then - maybe a frittata?

Comment

I love me a soup & salad. How about a spicy pumpkin coconut soup Spicy Pumpkin Coconut Soup Recipe | Eat Drink Paleo with a Thai salad with a dressing of lime juice, soy sauce, chili and a bit of sweetener of your choice? Something like this: Vegetarian Thai Salad - Vegetarian Thai Salad Recipe

Comment

Can they have wafer thin ham?

Just kidding. How about baked potato with vegetarian chilli?
        FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

Comment

Lacto-ovo means yes to dairy and eggs right?

Here's some goodies:
          Curried Eggs
          Baked potatoes with sour cream and grated cheese
          Roasted root vegetables
          Carrot sticks with pesto (using Olive Oil) and Brie/Camerbert
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

If they like Indian food there are lots of tasty dishes you could make dal Dahl Recipe - Red Lentil Daal Recipe - Spicy Lentil Dahl Recipe, raita Cucumber-Mint Raita Recipe at Epicurious.com
            veggie and meat curry for you.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Aingealag View Post
              I love me a soup & salad. How about a spicy pumpkin coconut soup Spicy Pumpkin Coconut Soup Recipe | Eat Drink Paleo with a Thai salad with a dressing of lime juice, soy sauce, chili and a bit of sweetener of your choice? Something like this: Vegetarian Thai Salad - Vegetarian Thai Salad Recipe
              Yum, that soup tastes like laksa!!

Comment

Cook some vegetables in huge amounts of grass fed butter for them, cook a couple lamb chops for yourself and knaw on the bones while they slurp down green stuff and watch in horror.

Comment

How about:

Curried Sweet Potato Soup
                  (with almond butter)

(This is a rather mild curry -- adjust spices if you like it hotter)

2 cups chopped onion
                  2 tablespoons coconut oil
                  2 tablespoons curry powder
                  1 teaspoon garlic powder
                  1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                  4 cups vegetable stock -- or 4 cups water + 4 teaspoons vegetable broth flavoring
                  1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
                  4 cups diced sweet potatoes
                  2/3 cup almond butter
                  1 14-oz. can coconut milk (not 'lite')
                  1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
                  1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
                  2 limes, quartered (optional)

In a large pot, saute the onion in the coconut oil until tender. Add the curry powder, cayenne, and garlic powder and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the stock and tomatoes; bring to a boil and add the diced sweet potatoes. Cover and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond butter and coconut milk. Pour the mixture into the pot and heat. Puree with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender) until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning -- I needed to add a teaspoon of sea salt.

If desired, garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges. Makes at least 4 servings or more.
                  Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

Here's another idea -- you may need to substitute coconut oil for the ghee (if they are vegan) and vegetable stock for the broth:

Comforting Paleo “Lentil” Soup | Grass Fed Girl
                    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-11-2013, 02:00 PM.
                    Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Aingealag View Post
                      Oooo, that could be great, thank you! My sister loves pumpkin.

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Curried Sweet Potato Soup... that sounds good too, thank you Antiochia!

Comment

If you have the book "Primal Cravings" you could make the butternut squash lasagna and substitute some grilled summer veggies for the Italian sausage. Here's my take:
                          Ingredients:

for the tomato sauce:

2 large cans of crushed tomatoes
                          2 large onions, chopped
                          6 cloves garlic, chopped
                          1 TB salt
                          1 TB balsamic vinegar
                          1 tsp honey
                          2 TB olive oil
                          1 cup chopped fresh basil

Instructions:

Heat the olive oil in a heavy sauce pot on medium. Add the onions and sautee for 10 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and sautee 1 minute.
                          Add the tomatoes, stir, and turn off the heat. Puree the mixture with an immersion blender.
                          Taste the sauce and adjust. I have listed above the 3 most common ingredients and quantities I use to doctor up my tomato sauces.
                          Place the lid on the pot, heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
                          Stir in the basil and adjust any final seasonings.

for the veggies:

grill or sautee zucchini, onions or any other vegetable you think would work as desired.

for the lasagna:

Ingredients:

1-2 butternut squash with a large, fat stem
                          4 oz grass fed mozzarella cheese (optional)

Instructions:

{Preheat oven to 375 convection or 400 regular.
                          Peel the squash stem and cut the bulb on the bottom of the squash off, so the section you’re using has no seeds.
                          Slice the squash thinly with a Japanese style mandolin into noodle like strips.
                          In a large baking dish, first make a layer of sauce, then squash, then veggies. Repeat all 3 layers. Finish with a layer of squash, then sauce, then the cheese if using.
                          Cover the pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15-30 minutes depending on how thin/thick the butternut squash was sliced.
                          Let rest for 30 minutes and serve!

Comment

Working...
                          X