No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Jello thread ;)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I LOVE these Jello snacks (I've been using cherries instead of blueberries and lime juice/water instead of the lemon juice lately). They are so yummy and so easy! My 3 year old loves to help make and eat them: Gut Healing Gummy Snacks - The Food Lovers Kitchen.

I want to make these too (with raw cacao): Chocolate Gelatin Bars | The Coconut Mama.

Comment

I also have these "pinned" to try... they look so fun for summer! (Frozen Whipped Jello)
      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...56661221127985

Comment

I've been trying some recipes for "gummy candy" but they all taste really bland. I came across this one from raypeat forum which may be worth a try:

2.5 cups blended strawberries
        1/2 cup gelatin
        1/2 cup lemon juice
        8 tablespoons sugar

Has anyone tried it with the whole fruit? When I see "Fruit juice", would concentrated juice (cordial) work better for flavour? I'm thinking since it's concentrated it would have more flavour compared to freshly squeezed juice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nstocks View Post
          I've been trying some recipes for "gummy candy" but they all taste really bland. I came across this one from raypeat forum which may be worth a try:

2.5 cups blended strawberries
          1/2 cup gelatin
          1/2 cup lemon juice
          8 tablespoons sugar

Has anyone tried it with the whole fruit? When I see "Fruit juice", would concentrated juice (cordial) work better for flavour? I'm thinking since it's concentrated it would have more flavour compared to freshly squeezed juice.
          Except for the 8 TABLESPOONS OF SUGAR LOL is sounds awesome......
          Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
          Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
          Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
            Except for the 8 TABLESPOONS OF SUGAR LOL is sounds awesome......
            Yeah I don't think I'd need 8 tablespoons of sugar, perhaps 3-4 honey or maple syrup will do. Not sure how those strawberry seeds will feel in jello!

Comment

Not to be a hog and change the direction of this thread, but another great (and delicious) way to get gelatin into your diet...rice pudding and custard!
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                Not to be a hog and change the direction of this thread, but another great (and delicious) way to get gelatin into your diet...rice pudding and custard!
                There's gelatin in custard? I was actually thinking about custard the other day when I came across a raw peach cobler recipe.; (but I'm probably going to use oats not nuts)

The FullyRaw Peach Cobbler! - YouTube

If you have a recipe, please do share (I'm only eating goat milk and most use cornstarch for that...)
                Last edited by Nstocks; 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

There's gelatin in custard? I was actually thinking about custard the other day when I came across a raw peach cobler recipe.; (but I'm probably going to use oats not nuts)

If you have a recipe, please do share (I'm only eating goat milk and most use cornstarch for that...)
                  Nstocks- You can usually use tapioca flour/starch in the place of corn starch. I use it in my banana pudding recipe.

Comment

Why are you people not sharing these recipes?!?

*Please?*

Comment

Originally posted by brooke.S. View Post
                      Nstocks- You can usually use tapioca flour/starch in the place of corn starch. I use it in my banana pudding recipe.
                      Yeah, I just meant that some flour is used for thickening so I'm not sure how gelatin can be added - if that's what Chocotaco369 meant.
                      Last edited by Nstocks; 07-27-2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Uhm, is Knorr gelatine Okay?
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

REAL TRADITIONAL ICE CREAM uses gelatin. Today, they've been replaced by much cheaper gums. If you look at ANY storebought ice cream in the grocery store, you will almost always see a gum - xanthan gum, guar gum, carob bean gum, locust bean gum, etc. Gelatin will do the same thing and actually make the product healthier. Homemade ice cream can be an excellent source of gelatin if you remember to add it to the recipe, and it adds wonderful volume and texture to the final product.

Since ice cream is simply frozen custard, yes, add gelatin to your custard. Any recipe that calls for flour/cornstarch as a thickener can be replaced with gelatin. This includes mousse, pudding, rice pudding, custard, ice cream, flan, etc. All can be made with gelatin - and in a very healthy way at that.

I'm not going to post recipes because there are an infinity of recipies on the internet for puddings, custards and ice creams, and personal tastes vary. You'll have to experiment since you can't sub gelatin 1:1 for flours and refined starch thickeners. Unfortunately, this means lots of trial and error, resulting in having to consume lots of delicious desserts until you reach the perfect final product...oh darn
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

REAL TRADITIONAL ICE CREAM uses gelatin. Today, they've been replaced by much cheaper gums. If you look at ANY storebought ice cream in the grocery store, you will almost always see a gum - xanthan gum, guar gum, carob bean gum, locust bean gum, etc. Gelatin will do the same thing and actually make the product healthier. Homemade ice cream can be an excellent source of gelatin if you remember to add it to the recipe, and it adds wonderful volume and texture to the final product.

Since ice cream is simply frozen custard, yes, add gelatin to your custard. Any recipe that calls for flour/cornstarch as a thickener can be replaced with gelatin. This includes mousse, pudding, rice pudding, custard, ice cream, flan, etc. All can be made with gelatin - and in a very healthy way at that.

I'm not going to post recipes because there are an infinity of recipies on the internet for puddings, custards and ice creams, and personal tastes vary. You'll have to experiment since you can't sub gelatin 1:1 for flours and refined starch thickeners. Unfortunately, this means lots of trial and error, resulting in having to consume lots of delicious desserts until you reach the perfect final product...oh darn
                            Haagen Dazs is the only major commercial ice cream I know of which does not use gums.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco Hill View Post
                              Haagen Dazs is the only major commercial ice cream I know of which does not use gums.
                              Me too. Their "Five" line is the only one I've seen. There may be a black label Turkey Hill free of gums, but I can't quite remember. Those lines typically add lots of overrun - air - into the mixture to prevent crystallization, which means they're not as thick and rich. Haagen Dazs Five I've never had...maybe they're just that darn good because they're known for being richer than cheaper brands.

Comment

That has really got me thinking about how I can add gelatin to dishes, thanks, it is actually very logical, I could add gelatin to semifreddo too (no ice cream maker).
                                Life. Be in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X