Egg fans, try THIS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg fans, try THIS!

So I am a huge egg eater - I go through dozens each week and one of my favorite methods of cooking them is to soft/medium boil the eggs so that I can easily remove the whites from the yolk and savor the creamy goodness. For the longest time I would BOIL my eggs, but recently discovered that you can actually STEAM eggs to get an even better result. Seriously, I didn't think you could steam an egg the same way you boil them, but it actually works, and it is extremely easy to de-shell also. All you need to do is get a steamer basket, set the water to a boil and then let the eggs steam away for roughly 7-10 minutes (depending on how cooked you like them). After that, take them out and cool them off and enjoy! I guarantee once you get the timing down you will never go back to the old way of boiling eggs again.
    Have fun!

hmmmm.....I will have to try this! I currently eat 2-4 hard boiled eggs a day, looking for ways to branch out!
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 180
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

nice. i think i'm cooking up a new batch of hard-boiled eggs today; i'll have to give this a try.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I steam my eggs also but w/ a slightly different technique. I put the eggs in the steamer basket before turning on the heat. Throw the lid on, put the flame to med-high and set the timer for 20 minutes. I usually just cool them w/ the sprayer nozzle on my faucet. Works great.
        M/35/5'10"
        SW: 325lbs
        Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Originally posted by Harpua View Post
          I steam my eggs also but w/ a slightly different technique. I put the eggs in the steamer basket before turning on the heat. Throw the lid on, put the flame to med-high and set the timer for 20 minutes. I usually just cool them w/ the sprayer nozzle on my faucet. Works great.
          Thanks for the tip. That's how I used to do my boiling technique - put the eggs in first, bring to a boil, let sit in hot water (burner off) for 7 minutes.
          Seriously, I'm never going back to those days again though (unless I find myself w/o a steamer)

Comment

How does the egg differ after being steamed versus being boiled?

Comment

I will stick to slightly boiled eggs (which on my kitchen setup is timed to 6mn 45 sec after water is boiling - yes, I put the eggs once water is boiling, which is a little tricky, and start timing just then). The reason is that the steaming method seems to take twice as long at the same heating setup, which sounds like a waste of energy ...

Comment

Yeah that’s true steaming is just a waste of energy as it takes too much time in comparison to boiling.

Comment

I have this:

Amazon.com: Cuisinart CEC-7 Egg Cooker: Kitchen & Dining

No more questionably-cooked eggs for me! This puppy does it all.
                  “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Sol blackcat
                    . This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    I don't notice any difference in taste or texture. The biggest plus is that I have yet to have 1 egg that I had trouble peeling. I could boil a dozen eggs and never get all 12 to peel easily. My only issue is a couple of times I had my flame too low and I under cooked them. I don't mind a little bit of a runny yolk though.
                    M/35/5'10"
                    SW: 325lbs
                    Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

poached. always. nom nom.

Comment

I don't notice any difference in taste or texture. The biggest plus is that I have yet to have 1 egg that I had trouble peeling. I could boil a dozen eggs and never get all 12 to peel easily. My only issue is a couple of times I had my flame too low and I under cooked them. I don't mind a little bit of a runny yolk though.
                        I used to have difficulty peeling eggs. Then I read instructions that said to puncture the round end of the egg and lower them into boiling water. I do 7 minutes for soft boiled and 13 minutes for hard boiled. Immediately on removing them I plunge them into cold water and bash in the round ends. Roll to peel when cool enough to handle. I have never again had an egg fail to slip out of its peel.

Comment

I never have any problems peeling an egg, but always get shell in the mixture when making an omelette.
                          Runny yolk, lovely. Try dipping cooked asparagus in the yolk. I'm not yolking! Try it.
                          FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

Comment

I have to jump in here about the peeling. Someone on another forum posted a link to cooking tips. The one that blew (no pun intended) me away was the guy who tapped each end of his HB eggs. Then he peeled each end. Then he blew on one end and the egg flew out the other. No joke. It was on video. I need HB eggs so I will report back tomorrow. :0)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                              I have to jump in here about the peeling. Someone on another forum posted a link to cooking tips. The one that blew (no pun intended) me away was the guy who tapped each end of his HB eggs. Then he peeled each end. Then he blew on one end and the egg flew out the other. No joke. It was on video. I need HB eggs so I will report back tomorrow. :0)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
                              I saw that aswell ocean. It's on YouTube, ninja style egg peeling I think it's called.
                              FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

Comment

Working...
                              X