Cool meals for HOT weather

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool meals for HOT weather

It just got really hot and muggy here all of a sudden. I blame the late mansoon season last year, so I'm not ready for all this heat. I need some recipes that aren't hot and stodgy. Things made with leftovers are fine, I just don't want a warm heavy meal.

My main hot weather meals are salads - I usually use a huge bowl of lettuce and add sliced strawberries, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, blue cheese crumbles and then a homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Yummy. Fruit on salads makes them especially refreshing I think.

I also make zucchini noodles a lot. This is an great non-cooking one.

Comment

Steak popsicle.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

My favorite breakfast

Comment

I cook potatoes and large hunks of meat in the evening, when it is cooler, as I don't have a/c. Then there's always something cold to eat during the day.

Comment

Pasta and red bean salad slathered with Miracle Whip!

he he, just kidding!

Gazpacho!

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              Steak popsicle.

Ok im listening :-D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Put your canned fish in the fridge. Yummy for summer. Dump over a sliced tomato with some hot sauce - easiest meal ever. When you have some time, cook up a few chickens. Cut them up into meal sized portions and freeze. Cold chicken is good. Same with potato salad - you do make your own mayo, right? Also, depending on how many you'll eat in a week, make a half to a dozen hard boiled eggs at a time. Put in fridge - write the date on the shells so you don't let them sit too long.

Learn to make Homemade Gravlax | Mark's Daily Apple add a little goat cheese, wrap in nori - fanfreakintastic.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  Steak popsicle.
                  That almost made water come out my nose...
                  Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

Yogurt

M.

Comment

I actually hate mayo, even the homemade stuff. Sad I know, but its a texture thing. One of the few foods I really just don't like.

I do eat leftovers (mmm Sunday roast makes any Tuesday better). Getting board with same old lettuce salads, but I've been experimenting with cold roasted cauliflower (also, cauliflower rice, I don't get it, but this stuff is good). I'll do some more experimenting. It's definitely easier to open a can of beans than cook meat and figure out what to do with it. Wrap it in bacon. Maybe, my ex vegetarian *** will get there eventually.

Comment

How about cucumber and avocado cream soup?
                        Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

definitely any kind of gazpacho - I like green cucumbers, calery, lime, spinach, hot pepper and cilantro with a touch of avocado or tomato paste
                          steak salad with or without dressing
                          guacamole with veggies
                          Smoothie with egg whites, banana, rhubarb and strawberries and watermelon - or anything else
                          mushed banana with coconut milk and cocoa nibs (or sans coconut milk on a low fat day)

We are pushing 35 centigrade tonight with sever thunderstorm warning so we'll be doing smoothies and leftover pork roast for those who can manage pork... I will probably trade mine for extra watermelon and almond butter. Or some dried fish. Now smoked fish would be super too, but don't have any. Would have steamed shrimps if we did not have the pork!
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Stir-fry (quick and you get that burner turned off before it heats the entire house)

Grilled items-the more you cook outside the less you heat the house

Raw fruit and veggies-salads, sliced and dipped into a sauce, cucumbers especially are tasty

Cold salads like tuna or chicken. If you don't like mayo you can mix them up with other stuff like just mustard or yogurt or sour cream or a splash of oil (macadamia is supposed really good, I've never tried it). I like mixing the shredded meat with fruit to get the sweetness/liquid from the fruit without having to use mayo.

Coleslaw (yeah, I know, mayo again, but you can find non-mayo recipes) or sauerkraut

The all-mighty Crockpot! Won't heat up the house but still gives you tasty meats and veggies.
                            See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Coleslaw can be made by sprinkling salt on cabbage to wilt it. Later, rinse and dress with oil and vinegar.

Comment

Working...
                              X