Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do i use coconut oil on the stove top without it smoking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i use coconut oil on the stove top without it smoking?

Whenever i try to cook stuff in a pan with cocnut oil it seriously starts to smoke and then scorches my pan. I mostly use it cook eggs and sweet potato discs over medium-low heat. But no matter what once the pan is hot it smokes and burns my pan.

Are you using extra virgin coconut oil? Either the heat is too high or the smoke point is too low.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Never experienced this issue...cook with coconut almost daily?? Suggest you contact manufacturer of oil

Comment

extra virgin unrefined and all those crazy labels pure coconut oil.

Comment

Cook at a lower temperature.

Comment

Is it medium low by the setting on the dial or by the appearance of the flame? We have one burner that is definitely medium high when set to medium low - should probably get it adjusted. I use Trader Joes extra virgin unrefined for eggs and veggies all the time, sometimes even chicken thighs and have never had a problem with smoking.
            50yo, 5'3"
            SW-195
            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

just went and looked at the brand i have its

Jarrow Formulas Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil

and by medium low i mean you can barely even see the flame. Shit still smokes like crazy.

Comment

Use a heavier pan.

If I put oil on the stove and pre-heated it, it would smoke and scorch no matter what type it is. Oil will smoke and scorch at 450F or higher, so that's how hot you are getting your pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
                  just went and looked at the brand i have its

Jarrow Formulas Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil

and by medium low i mean you can barely even see the flame. Shit still smokes like crazy.
                  Use a coconut oil with a higher smoke point. I like Tropical Traditions Refined.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    Use a coconut oil with a higher smoke point. I like Tropical Traditions Refined.

^ This. Their refined stuff is pretty good.
                    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

I use mainly Nutiva with no problems at all. Have used others like Barleans etc. again no smoking. No idea why that one is a particular problem.
                      Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                      Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                      Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

I never cook with coconut oil at temps above the 4 on my stovetop. More than that and it sizzles out of control, which I can only assume is oxidizing it.. But liver, eggs, and most other things cook perfectly at 2 or 3, so I rarely even turn it up that high. I do sear my steak at the 4, and then turn it down.

Maybe that oil is cut with nasties or not filtered properly, etc.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
                          Whenever i try to cook stuff in a pan with cocnut oil it seriously starts to smoke and then scorches my pan. I mostly use it cook eggs and sweet potato discs over medium-low heat. But no matter what once the pan is hot it smokes and burns my pan.
                          Cook at medium heat and do not heat oil to smoking point before cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            Cook at a lower temperature.
                            This. A thin-bottomed pan while over heats very quickly.

I used Nutive Unrefined Virgin CO just the other day when making salmon cakes, and it didn't start to smoke until I turned the heat past medium (I'm impatient.) I turned it back down to cook the remaining cakes and no smoke.

Just for reference, my range is one of those glass-topped electric ones.

*Wrong quote. I meant to quote the remark about using a heavier pan. But, yeah, this as well.

Comment

I cook about 80% of my foods on an 8 out of 10 setting. Sometimes I go lower. I've never had this issue with coconut oil or any fat. My pans vary.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                              X