Frozen, slightly defrost, refreeze

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen, slightly defrost, refreeze

I have a "family pak" of large chicken breasts. They are frozen, in the pak, like a rock. I live alone and would like to cook just one or maybe two breasts at a time. Is it possible (or safe) to defrost the pak just enough to break the "glacier" of breasts apart then wrap them individually and refreeze them? They were bought on sale, .99 a pound, and there are 3 large paks in the freezer. I know I could cook them and then refreeze them but I'd rather just cook one now and then.

If you thaw in the refrigerator (might take a day depending on how large the pack is), it should be fine to freeze one more time after portioning them out. If you defrost at room temp, or warmer than a fridge (40F), it will affect the quality (texture) of the meat. You should use it ASAP once defrosted (unless freezing again) as it probably won't stay fresh for as long as if it hadn't ever been frozen.
    Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
      If you thaw in the refrigerator (might take a day depending on how large the pack is), it should be fine to freeze one more time after portioning them out. If you defrost at room temp, or warmer than a fridge (40F), it will affect the quality (texture) of the meat. You should use it ASAP once defrosted (unless freezing again) as it probably won't stay fresh for as long as if it hadn't ever been frozen.
      Thanks for your input. As they thaw, I'll just keep trying to separate them and get them in the freezer again quickly.

Comment

I have done this before. I used a hammer and a screwdriver to separate them.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
          A butter knife you don't really care about and copious elbow grease works too.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            A butter knife you don't really care about and copious elbow grease works too.
            Sounds like a good remedy to frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
              Good exercise!

Comment

A better option may be to thaw them all, cook them all (grill some, bake some) portion them out and refreeze. That way you have a pre-made "meal" right out of the freezer......

Comment

what's all this butterknife and screw driver nonsense? get a good hold on that bag and wham it on the counter a few times

unless they were raw and mass frozen instead of individually frozen, in which case... uh.. blow torch
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

Comment

I would also just smack the frozen block on the edge of the counter, same way I break up frozen fish and such.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                      what's all this butterknife and screw driver nonsense? get a good hold on that bag and wham it on the counter a few times

unless they were raw and mass frozen instead of individually frozen, in which case... uh.. blow torch
                      If you use a rusty screwdriver, you will be adding iron to your diet!

Comment

Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                        If you use a rusty screwdriver, you will be adding iron to your diet!
                        you can never have too much iron, i'd go so far as to say get a metal file and file the rust onto the food like pepper afterward
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                        lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                          you can never have too much iron, i'd go so far as to say get a metal file and file the rust onto the food like pepper afterward
                          Oh, I don't know about that.... when your poo turns to black tar, you've had too much iron..... and metal filings in poo would be like crapping razor blades methinks..... but if shaking like a chihuahua pooing ground glass blows air up your skirt, who am I to complain!

Comment

What wonderful, inventive, silly minds this group has. Reading your posts and how you would solve my "problem" gave me a laugh in a day full of more work than I can get finished. Following is a little more about the frozen breasts situation. I'm the librarian in a private church school. The work during the school year doubles during summer vacation with cataloging new books and chasing down overdue ones. I eat here and do a fair amount of cooking, under cover so to speak . Most classrooms have refrigerators and microwaves. I've managed to have both plus a 1 burner induction cook top, a small counter convection oven and an electric skillet. Most of the stuff is kept out of sight. When the fire marshal does his yearly check, and we all know when he's coming, word spreads and some things just disappear. We/I am not breaking any fire laws, I checked, but why get him all excited? I have reached my weight goal and now I'm trying to maintain, it's not always easy to have food prepared before work, and being prepared is vital if your going to succeed. I am truly committed to not wasting food so I am making a personal effort to eat all the chicken, and stay Primal. Smacking the frozen clot on the stucco wall outside would probably do the trick, if it didn't come apart and go flying. I like the hammer and screwdriver idea and one of the maintenance guys would help me but he might talk. If a parent saw me, explaining my behavior would be difficult in light of the fact that I'm trusted with with the care and reading ability of boys and girls whose parents are paying a lot of tuition and would view "your methods" as "dingbat". That would require me to start at the beginning and patiently explain to them the Primal way of eating and what I'm trying to accomplish. I DON'T WANT TO EVEN GO THERE! They know I've been doing something, I've lost 129 lbs in about 26 months. . . and I want to keep it that way but being subtle is key. Thanks again for your input, I think I'll go with defrosting the chicken a little in the fridge and just keep testing until the pieces come apart.

Comment

Working...
                            X