Plaintain Bananas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    It's become my go-to pancake/waffle recipe. The only things I do different from the recipe are use ripe (mostly black) plantains and add cinnamon.
    I made them for my son and he liked them. I'll try adding cinnamon and putting the batter in my waffle iron. I have a feeling this could be very good.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I prefer them baked, not fried. Too greasy. I toss them in salt, chili powder, cinnamon, cocoa powder and a tablespoon of kefir or yogurt, then bake them at 450 F on a cookie sheet. 15 mins, flip, 10-15 mins. Much better than fried, but they have to be almost black first or they'll come out dry. I cut them about 1/3"-1/2" thick. Too thin and they'll dry out.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Almost completely black.
        Absolutely nothing on them. It's not necessary to add anything at all IMO.
        Just bake them until hot and gooey.

I bake them whole, just the ends trimmed off.
        If they were black enough and soft enough there is never a problem with dryness.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
          I just cooked plantains for the first time last night (tostones), some were green and some were starting to turn yellow. DS said he prefered the green. I used some for a vehicle for salmon salad (salmon mixed with salsa verde) they were great. I could see how they could be used to replace chips or crackers. The rest I served with dinner to go with grilled pork kabobs, everyone loved them.

I want to try Mr. Koozie's suggestion, so far every other paleo pancake recipe I've tried has been disappointing, but that recipe looks promising.
          Yep. I tried the tostones with yellow plantains, and they came out as something sweeter than I was hoping. They also didn't hold up well to the frying. I'll get green ones next time.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I like the green ones made in to tostones. But I use the method where you peel them, cut in half, boil for 20 minutes, then slice, smash and pan fry in lard.

They are really delicious with a bit of pulled pork and a red onion relish. Or just plain.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
            X