bacon! BACON!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bacon! BACON!!!

OMG, I think I've just had the best bacon ever in my life. Since 'going primal' I've stopped feeling guilty about eating it, but I still don't eat bacon too often. today I found a source of naturally smoked pork belly so I bought a piece and took off a couple of slices with a knife. they were pretty uneven but they cooked up just fine in the frying pan. So different from the pre-sliced oscar meyer stuff...

Sorry for taking up your bandwidth. I just had to share that with someone who'd understand...

I guess next you'll be buying a commercial meat slicer.

Comment

mmmmm bacon. I eat about 3 lbs a week haha

Comment

I've started scranning lots of bacon too, lovely.
        FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

Comment

You know (and it might heresy around here) I've been finding most bacons just not that great. Applegate is OK but even some higher end stuff (North Country, Broadbent) is not doing it for me.

If you want a fun treat (and aren't scared of nitrates) look for Schaller and Weber double-smoked bacon. I've also found a similar product in Polish delis for less. You don't need (or want) to cook it! Just slice and enjoy…of course it's calling out for some rye bread but that's another thing…

Comment

Butcher cut bacon is sooooooooo good!

Comment

Lovely bacon in Australia, always smoked and somewhat different to American.
              I believe that what Americans just call bacon, we call "streaky bacon" which is a bit hard to find, and looks just like the American example shown.

We also have "short cut" bacon which is the right hand half of the rasher (we call them rashers not strips) as shown.

Youtube linky

I prefer the full rasher, much more fat.

Comment

Applegate and Coleman are my current favorite.
                I once bought uncured bacon made from pastured pork at the farmer's market, and it was too sweet.
                I hope I can find pastured bacon with no or minimal sugar...

Comment

Bacon every day for me, without it I go into withdrawal..... I do buy really good bacon though. Our local organic store does it themselves, very clean. I also buy Expensive Euro bacon from the public market which is really awesome and also Irish and English Bacon. Love it all.
                  Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                  Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                  Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

I'm not a big bacon eater, but I do like to indulge occasionally. What I really love is saving the fat to cook with. Nothing like collard greens cooked in bacon. That's a swino-vegetarian dish.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                      I'm not a big bacon eater
                      She's a witch! Burn her!

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                        She's a witch! Burn her!
                        LOL - I've been called worse.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I've tried making bacon myself both using pink salt and without pink salt, just a dry rub. The pink salt gives it a more "ham" flavor. Concerns over chemicals aside, I actually prefer just the dry rub because it tastes more like delicious pork than ham. It also tends to be less salty so you can really taste the meat/smoke. As someone else mentioned, a food slicer is really key. I'm pretty good with the knife but I could never slice the pork belly with much consistency.

Comment

Love bacon...love love love!!!

I've cured it once myself and really enjoyed it (well, except I let it sit in the dry rub too long so it was pretty salty). Heck of a lot cheaper to cure it myself vs buying it.

What is your preferred method of cooking? I like to bake it-always get the perfect level of chewy-crispy without the splatter mess.
                            See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

I like to keep bacon for occasional indulgences, and I call those indulgences...breakfast! Yeah, I go through about two pounds a week, but I buy mine fresh from a farmer's market.

Comment

Working...
                              X