How to eat sardines?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to eat sardines?

While I like deep fried fish, and managed some baked salmon yesterday (it was OK), I wonder how sardines would taste, and how do you prep/eat them?

While browsing the grocery, I took a look at them and the various packings. Olive oil and tomato sauce sounded appealing, but I've never actually had sardines before.

Canned sardines can be eaten right out of the can.

Comment

7 Things to Do with Canned Sardines - Test Kitchen Notes - Food News

not all primal but very adaptable.... I love fresh sardines cooked on the bbq with lemon drizzled over them
      Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
      www.primaljoy.co.uk

Comment

My usual is a little strange but I love it:
        rice bowl topped with scrambled eggs, sardines, and a dollop of sour cream + cayenne sauce
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by MaceyUK View Post
          7 Things to Do with Canned Sardines - Test Kitchen Notes - Food News

not all primal but very adaptable.... I love fresh sardines cooked on the bbq with lemon drizzled over them
          Fisherman's eggs is my fav from the list.

Comment

I just eat 'em from the can (or cool new pouches I just found). I like them better than tuna.

Comment

My favourite stew for fish in tomato:
              100-300g broccoli
              100-300g potatoes
              1-2 carrots
              1-2 onions
              200-400g fish in tomato
              Boil the veg, drain some of the water, add the fish, salt and pepper. Simmer until the fish is heated. Nom!
              Works best with roast potatoes and carrots, though, so I usually make one the day after roasting-day.
              --
              Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
              I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                I just eat 'em from the can (or cool new pouches I just found). I like them better than tuna.
                I couldn't agree more. I buy the wild sardines from Costco and eat them right out of the can on a daily basis with a good squirt of sriracha sauce on top.
                "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

What do they taste like? Are they super fishy? I just can't seem to get the nerve to try them but would love to acquire a test for their health benefits and simplicity.
                  My journal

Comment

Originally posted by Angieh View Post
                    What do they taste like? Are they super fishy? I just can't seem to get the nerve to try them but would love to acquire a test for their health benefits and simplicity.
                    Canned sardines are usually lightly smoked. But they definitely have a fishy quality to them, how could they not? But it's not a stinky fishy, more like a cooked fishy aroma. The oil also lends its flavor the the product. If you can, go for it. It's up there with the absolutely best things you can ever eat.
                    "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

Originally posted by Angieh View Post
                      I think they have a more mild "fishy" flavor than even tuna. If you get ones in olive oil or water, try draining and rinsing the can before you eat them, perhaps, to make them even more mild.

Comment

Try the skinless and boneless packed in olive oil to start with if your nervous about the bones and skin thing. I buy these by the case from Amazon and think the Cento brand is fantastic--I mash 'em with hot sauce in the can and / or dump them on salad greens. Easy and very tasty.

Comment

I think my biggest problem with any fish is that I'm used to breaded and deep fried (fish fries are a staple in WI). Very little "fishy" taste.
                          Yesterday, I made some baked salmon. It was "ok", still a bit of the fishy taste.

Comment

Fresh lemon juice will help with fishiness.

Comment

Thanks, all. I'm going to go for it... soon. I like the boneless, skinless suggestion, and I will definitely disguise with lots of lemon and/or hot sauce!
                              My journal

Comment

Working...
                              X