Cant make a thick Mayonnaise advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant make a thick Mayonnaise advice please

OK so have tried making a mayo following YouTube videos but it always ends up watery type no thickness at all.

Even this simple YouTube video 1.46 seconds long called

Homemade Mayonnaise The Key to Making Great Mayonnaise

I still stuff it up! The egg yolk wont thicken even when i add drop by drop of EVOO.

any advice would would be appreciated

Don't be afraid of homemade mayo!
    Taking a big mesuring cup put in it:
    1. Two whole eggs
    2. a big pinch of salt
    3. Two Tb spoon of dijon mustard

Using a stick blender. Blend the whole thing. Then while blending, pour olive oil in it.
    For a thick mayo, you need about about 2 cups of olive oil.
    ratio: 1 egg-1cup olive oil
    If its not thick enough add some oil and blend well.
    (sorry if I' m not clear, I'm French Canadian)

Comment

The above given recipe is really good.
      Thanks TeaLady

Comment

There's some good info here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87279.html
        My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Hmmm .

My ratio for mayo is always:
          3/4 c. fat
          1 egg yolk
          1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
          1 tsp lemon or lime juice
          1 tbsp whey from yogurt with live active cultures (this makes your homemade mayo actually last)

I always at least double this... and use different fats depending on what flavors I want.
          For instance bacon fat, duck fat, EVOO...
          Bacon and duck both need to be done 50/50 with an oil that is liquid, I use macadamia... sometimes walnut if I don't want to wait for shipping on the mac.

Add all ingredients except oil and wizz until light with stick blender... start add oil in small sloshes blending each in thoroughly.
          I've never had a fail on this recipe and I add all sorts of things to it... cloves of garlic, herbs, spices.

With 2 yolks and two 3/4 cup measures of oils it makes about a lovely little pint of mayo.
          The addition of that whey is really key to making homemade mayo stay good.
          It'll last for a few months instead of a week that way!
          Homemade Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise

The basis of my meat fat recipes are here...
          Baconnaise | Serious Eats : Recipes
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaLady View Post
            Don't be afraid of homemade mayo!
            Taking a big mesuring cup put in it:
            1. Two whole eggs
            2. a big pinch of salt
            3. Two Tb spoon of dijon mustard

Using a stick blender. Blend the whole thing. Then while blending, pour olive oil in it.
            For a thick mayo, you need about about 2 cups of olive oil.
            ratio: 1 egg-1cup olive oil
            If its not thick enough add some oil and blend well.
            (sorry if I' m not clear, I'm French Canadian)
            I use 1 whole egg with 1 teaspoon of water and a half-teaspoon of salt in the blender, drizzling in the cup of olive oil. After it is done I add a tablespoon of vinegar.

I find whole eggs to be more reliable than egg yolks.

Comment

I cant get it to be thick? always ends up watery, someone said EVOO is the reason it wont thicken?

Comment

I use EVOO and whole eggs.

Comment

So why is it not thickening wonder what i am doing wrong

Comment

Aside from your saying repeatedly that it's not thickening, we can't tell specifically what you're domg or what technique you are using. We can only say what works for us.

Blender mayonnaise takes me about 5 minutes to make. We could look at that video if you linked to it.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                      Aside from your saying repeatedly that it's not thickening, we can't tell specifically what you're domg or what technique you are using. We can only say what works for us.

Blender mayonnaise takes me about 5 minutes to make. We could look at that video if you linked to it.
                      Homemade Mayonnaise - The Key to Making Great Mayonnaise - YouTube

Comment

That video is deceptive. It is not a complete illustration of making mayonnaise, it is a come-on to purchase a course on their website. If you really want to make mayo with a whisk, a bowl, and egg yolks, it is probably going to take 15 minutes and your arm will feel like it's going to fall off before you are done with it. I recommend a mixer, a blender, a stick blender, or a food processor, as we use here.

Comment

Everything eKatherine just said.

Use a speed blending tool... or be prepared to whisk until your arm is a wet noodle.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

OK thanks i hand mixed for a around 3-4 minutes and thought this is nothing like the video hehe so through it out done it again same thing so thought Hmm, well that explains it then.

I tried in a blender a couple of times but maybe i added the oil to quickly. i don't think so, some also sad the knifes in blenders are to sharp breaking up the egg not letting it thicken, hence why i tried doing it by hand, should this be a problem or no?

Comment

When making it in the blender, you have to make sure it is enough above the blades to mix at the start. This may require making a double batch if you are using yolks only. I don't have a problem with whole eggs. One is enough to fill the bottom of my blender, with a little water added.

Comment

Working...
                              X