Cant make a thick Mayonnaise advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sting View Post
    OK thanks i hand mixed for a around 3-4 minutes and thought this is nothing like the video hehe so through it out done it again same thing so thought Hmm, well that explains it then.

I tried in a blender a couple of times but maybe i added the oil to quickly. i don't think so, some also sad the knifes in blenders are to sharp breaking up the egg not letting it thicken, hence why i tried doing it by hand, should this be a problem or no?
    We use extra light olive, room temperature or warmer whole egg, tsp. vinegar, about a half tsp. of mustard powder, and salt to taste. Immersion blender is the only method I've had consistent results with. We've found a warmer egg tends to make a thicker mayo.

Comment

If you are using olive oil, the mayo definitely gets thicker when refrigerated. Provided of course it didn't break in the making.

Comment

thanks and much appreciated will give it a try as you explained :-)

Comment

The first batch of paleo mayo I made, the blender was turned on too high and too long. The mayo split and turned into mayo water. I suggest keeping it on low throughout and ONLY a brief burst at high to finish it after pouring in the olive oil. It's a quick process.

Comment

Just make aioli using raw egg yolks, garlic and dijon. The garlic and dijon will help with the emulsification, but you can take either one out if you want. It helps to whisk the egg garlic dijon mixture up first to start the emulsification. Then slowly add your oil while whisking, until it starts to for a clumping texture. Then you add an acid like lemon juice or vinegar to smooth the mixture out. You can do this with a food processor that has a whole on the top to pour things in too. Way better tasting, and probably a bit healthier too.

Comment

I do it like this

Two-Minute Mayonnaise | Serious Eats : Recipes

I always add salt and pepper and some sugar or maple syrup with the egg yolk, water etc. And I like to use high oleic sunflower seed oil (much lower in omega 6) rather than EVOO (which becomes very bitter).

Anchovies added at the start are excellent too, as is a crushed clove of garlic.

Comment

Water is what will cause your mayo to emulsify and become thick.

Sometimes folks get frustrated making mayo because it is not properly emulsifying and thickening up, and understandingly think that if they were to add more water, it would just be even thinner.

It is counter-intuitive. The extra TB or so of water (whether in the form of vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, or just water) is what will make it become a thick, stable emulsion.

If you are having trouble, try adding an extra TB of water to whatever mixture you were trying with before.

Comment

I have this awesome mini food processor from kitchenaid, cost around $35 and I use it all the time. Awesome for mayo, in fact can get too thick. I pour the olive oil through the small hole in the top, and I plug the larger opening or else you will be wearing mayo. Also great for blender hollandaise (and chopping eggs, onions, celery, etc.). Easy clean up as well.

Comment

This recipe has always worked for me. Take her advice both on letting the egg and lemon juice sit for at least an hour in the food processor, and take your time when you drizzle in the oil (takes me anywhere from 3 - 5 minutes). Makes fabulous mayo!
                    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

thanks for replies

Comment

For everybody who has trouble getting mayo to thicken, I finally found out "the secret" from a cooking friend: When it's too runny, add MORE oil! I know, it sounds like the opposite, but it's true! The more oil you add, the thicker it gets. And forget the "add it drop by drop and be patient" crapola; blob it in a quarter cup at a time and it works out just fine! Takes less than a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                          I do it like this

Two-Minute Mayonnaise | Serious Eats : Recipes

I always add salt and pepper and some sugar or maple syrup with the egg yolk, water etc. And I like to use high oleic sunflower seed oil (much lower in omega 6) rather than EVOO (which becomes very bitter).

Anchovies added at the start are excellent too, as is a crushed clove of garlic.
                          OP doesn't have an immersion blender.

It can be done w/o a blender, mayonnaise was around long before mechanical devices. I once watched aioli being made in Spain with a mortar and pestle. As I said it takes patience and a steady hand.
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                            OP doesn't have an immersion blender.

It can be done w/o a blender, mayonnaise was around long before mechanical devices. I once watched aioli being made in Spain with a mortar and pestle. As I said it takes patience and a steady hand.
                            Mayo CAN be made with a whisk. But it takes time and the chance of splitting is greater. Floors CAN be cleaned with a broom and shovel - but a vacuum is quicker. So is mayo made with an immersion blender.

Comment

Working...
                            X