Good steak, how to do it justice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good steak, how to do it justice?

Having recently acquired a freezer full of excellent home kill beef, I find myself needing to know how to cook porterhouse, rump and filet steak. Up till now I've majored in mince and casseroles

Detailed advice on how you do it would be welcomed. My dd had a flatmate who did so many minutes each side, then so many more in a warm oven, followed by a precise rest period. But of course, she doesn't remember precisely how many minutes.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

The kiss of the flame.

Seriously, get an instant-read thermometer to check the interior temperature with. Or even better, a remote-reading one that has a probe you insert in the center of the meat. An alarm goes off when the interior temperature is where you set it. You will learn pretty quickly how warm you like the interior once you have control over that.

The remote read thermometer cannot be used under the broiler. Read the instructions.

Comment

I do have a thermometer. Are you telling me that's how to judge the cookedness of a steak?

And do you really broil it? (That's like in the oven under the top element, right? What we call the griller). It never occured to me to do steak that way.
      Last edited by Annieh; 06-07-2013, 03:28 AM.
      Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
        I do have a thermometer. Are you telling me that's how to judge the cookedness of a steak?
        That's how I tell the doneness of a steak, by inserting the probe in the middle from the edge, parallel to the cut surfaces.

And do you really broil it? (That's like in the oven under the top element, right? What we call the griller). It never occured to me to do steak that way.
        I have an old gas stove, so the broiler is in the bottom drawer. I actually pan-grill them in a little butter.

Comment

Ok, thanks. That is a bit more handy information. So what temperature do you aim for?
          Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

and yes, it's all about temperature.

With sous vide cooking (which is low temperature/long time) the meat is submersed (vac-packed) in water at the desired finished temperature for several hours, it can then be browned off, but it is the internal temperate that determines how well done it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
              Ok, thanks. That is a bit more handy information. So what temperature do you aim for?
              I like it at 125F, warm but red inside. But I don't know how you like it.

Comment

Grill if you have it, if not, this is the best way to cook one (I'm a Texan, trust me):

1. Leave steak out until it's at room temperature
                2. Heat oven to around 500
                3. Get a dry pan really hot on the stove. Like, put your burner on 8 if it goes to 10
                4. Drop the steak on the pan for 30 seconds per side
                5. Shove the pan in the oven and cook the steak for 2 minutes on each side
                6. Dump the steak on a plate and cover with foil for 10 minutes

Comes out perfectly medium rare and is amazing. Might want to disable your smoke alarm prior to cooking this way, but seriously it's so good.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

Thankyou both
                  Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                    Grill if you have it, if not, this is the best way to cook one (I'm a Texan, trust me):

1. Leave steak out until it's at room temperature
                    2. Heat oven to around 500
                    3. Get a dry pan really hot on the stove. Like, put your burner on 8 if it goes to 10
                    4. Drop the steak on the pan for 30 seconds per side
                    5. Shove the pan in the oven and cook the steak for 2 minutes on each side
                    6. Dump the steak on a plate and cover with foil for 10 minutes

Comes out perfectly medium rare and is amazing. Might want to disable your smoke alarm prior to cooking this way, but seriously it's so good.

Sent via A-10 Warthog
                    seconds this approach but likes a ridged pan; i do prefer the BBQ- really hot; slap it on long enough to get good char marks then rest in foil
                    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

i'm nowhere near that technical. i hide behind the fact that cooking is an art not a science. i did have a little nifty glossy piece of paper with pics on i got from by the checkouts in new world which had how many minutes for things like rare and medium rare so it may be worth looking for one of them next time you go shopping.

i have a gas cooker and a cast iron pan. heat the pan real hot. throw some fat in. then the steak. the most important bit is to brown each side before you turn it. if it is a fillet steak or a bit thicker cut, i sometimes put a metal lid off one of my roasting dishes over the pan to keep the heat in. from memory, it was 2 mins per side for rare, 4 for medium rare etc. it is a total hassle trying to set timers and watching them so i never bothered. i just keep turning it every now and then till it is what i consider to be done. i usually have rare to medium rare. all the kids like theirs not to bleed on the plate. so mine rests while i finish theirs.

Comment

kitoi's kitchen: Grilling Beef
                        http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Important thing is to bring the meat to room temperature before grilling. Also, season the meat fairly liberally with good quality salt about 40 min before grilling. Don't apply black pepper to the meat before grilling, it's burns on the BBQ.

I like my steaks on the medium-rare side. I'm assuming you have 1.5" thick steaks. After you have a nice layer of hot coals evenly on your BBQ, place the meat on and grill for 2.5 min.

Turn the meat 1/4 way to get nice cross marks and grill for another 2.5 min.

Flip the meat over and grill for an additional 4-5 min. Let rest for 10 min under foil, add cracked black pepper if desired.

Enjoy. (don't forget the red wine)
                          "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Comment

Good quality beef is a lot more forgiving than your average grocery store stuff, so that's a bonus. But I think your expectations will dramatically affect how happy you are with what you end up with. I'm OK with anything from medium to rare so long as the outside has a bit of char on it. A thicker piece (1.5-2 inches) gives a little more leeway. A thinner piece requires a little more finesse. We always do steak on a charcoal grill because that's what we're used to. A skillet would require a bit of practice to get the feel for it. So long as you're willing to experiment, you can definitely find a technique that satisfies you.
                            50yo, 5'3"
                            SW-195
                            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

When I do steak in the oven, it's usually like this:

I take a fork and stab the steak repeatedly on both sides, to tenderize.
                              I coat the steak in balsamic vinegar, then spices (typically I use a mix like Chicago Steak Seasoning)
                              Pop into oven on broil - broil each side 'til the fat is golden brown.
                              If it's a thin steak, it's done now.
                              If it's a thick steak, turn the oven off but leave the steaks in and let the heat finish them. How long depends on how thick. 2-10 minutes. After a while you get a feel for it.
                              High Weight: 225
                              Weight at start of Primal: 189
                              Current Weight: 174
                              Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X