No announcement yet.

Crocking a brisket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just leave the veggie in big pieces or whole. I don't think it will be a problem. Make sure its well sealed, 200 is a very low temp after all
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-02-2013, 11:28 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

I'm watching YouTube videos on it now. One video said not to use any liquid (other than a couple tablespoons of Worcestershire) or vegetables, but to season with whatever you like plus the Worcestershire, double wrap it in foil, and put it on low for 8 hours. It came out with a fair amount of liquid.

Another one, here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYkP...e_gdata_player , said to use a layer of onions as a natural liner so the meat doesn't stick, add a bunch of sauces, and cook on low for 8 hours.

I think I'm suffering from information overload. So I'm still just kind of weighing options here... Season with adobo & sazon goya; a layer of onions, carrots, & celery on the bottom; some white wine and/or Worcestershire, though I don't know if they would clash with the other seasonings; on low for 8 hours. That's my working theory, though I still question if the vegetables would scorch and how the seasonings work together.

Arggghh...don't want to ruin an expensive piece of meat.

--
      What would Andy Taylor do?

Comment

I honestly don't think the vegetables will scorch; there is a lot of water in brisket and its a big piece of meat,just seal it real well
        neither do I think Worcestershire is necessary, the wines not a problem add a bit, it will blend in with all the other flavours whereas Worcestershire's flavour always leaves it mark.
        Id go for your working theory with a splash of vino
        When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
        27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
        new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

yup
          Annie Ups the Ante
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

You are probably cooking already, but anyway... I cook half-briskets in my crockpot all the time, cut in two pieces so they'll fit the round pot. I usually just layer it with some onion, use a little salt and pepper and turn it on low. I think it cooked in about 4 or 5 hours this last time (my crock runs pretty hot). The veggies won't scorch in the crock; the heat comes from the sides of the pot, not the bottom.

Maybe if you're worried about how you'll like it best, you could halve it. Cook half one way tonight, cook the other half a different way (or the same way, if you liked it) the next night, when you have more information. I agree, I wouldn't want to mess up 6 lbs of brisket either!

For large cuts of meat I like to keep the spicing really simple, so that as we have leftovers from it I can change it up. Also, it means I can feed some to my son one way (he likes it with applesauce) and make curry or something else for the adults.

Comment

Originally posted by EMonger View Post
              Instead of the adobo or in addition to? And would you use the slow cooker or roaster, and with or without the rack?
              If you put the veggies on the bottom of the slow cooker and put the roast on top it works best, no need for a rack. The pepper might be too much in addition to the adobo but there are few dishes that can't be improved by adding onions and garlic. I would think those would go well with adobo.

Comment

I don't add any liquid when I make mine in the slow cooker. Brisket and mushrooms both release enough water and fat. No extra liquid needed,

Comment

Originally posted by Metric View Post
                  I don't add any liquid when I make mine in the slow cooker. Brisket and mushrooms both release enough water and fat. No extra liquid needed,
                  Everybody who said there would be plentiful liquid was right. I added some wine and enough water to surround, but not cover, the veggies. When I pulled it from the oven, there was more liquid than I wanted.
                  I used the oven, because the brisket was huge and I didn't want to cut it up. It turned out tender, but not fall-apart, and the wine overpowered the adobo, because I couldn't taste it at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X