Best foods to cook with beef tallow?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best foods to cook with beef tallow?

So I just made some bone broth and have successfully separated the tallow from the stock, and now I'm trying to figure out what the best foods to use tallow are. I know duck fat is supposed to be great for fried sweet potatoes for instance, but what do you all like to cook in tallow? Are there certain foods that lend themselves more to tallow than, say, duck fat or coconut oil or ghee? Any recommendations are much appreciated

Scrambled eggs soak up beef fat nicely.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Scrambled eggs soak up beef fat nicely.
      I'll give that a try tonight, but I've always found the coconut oil/ghee combo works amazingly with eggs. Of course, perhaps all 3 would be a sort of holy-trinity?

Comment

I can't argue with that. Maybe coconut oil/tallow combo for dinner eggs and coconut oil/ghee combo for breakfast eggs?
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Mushrooms. Potatoes.

Comment

I like it with broccoli, bok choy, mushrooms, or all of the above.
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I'll bet it would be good to cook with for an asian stir-fry. Maybe I'll try that next

Comment

we call it dripping here and it goes well with all veggies. Its good in deep frying if you do that. you can fry eggs in it but i prefer bacon fat. I think it has a more neutral taste than olive oil, butter, ghee, sesame oil etc so always use it with foods that have a delicate flavour that you want to bring out
                When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Beef Tallow and ghee are my two main cooking fats. Anything savory is excellent with beef tallow really. And it's really good over roasted veggies. Much better than olive oil IMO. I also smear it on my face almost everyday and my whole body once or twice a week. I make a tallow body balm with avocado and macadamia nut oils, tallow, and essential oils. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by 0Angel0 View Post
                    I also smear it on my face almost everyday and my whole body once or twice a week. I make a tallow body balm with avocado and macadamia nut oils, tallow, and essential oils. Love it!
                    Wow! Do you do that for acne or just for overall skin health?

Comment

Just overall skin health. It makes my skin look and feel amazing. Face and body.

ETA: I wouldn't make this body balm with tallow leftover from making stock. I don't even cook with that stuff. I treat my dogs to a few nice size chunks once it's cooled and easy to separate from the stock then I throw it away. I know it's a stable saturated fat but after cooking for 24-48 hrs I'd rather play it safe. I render my own tallow from grass fed suet. It's really easy.
                      Last edited by 0Angel0; 05-20-2013, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I feel like it shouldn't be a problem to cook with it. I get paranoid about stuff like that too though, including cooking in a microwave. In fact, I've been using the microwave to reheat my stock so I can drink it. Do you think this is a bad method of reheating it? It's so hard to believe that there can be so many conflicting studies concerning nutritional qualities in food an microwaving. Hmph.

Comment

EVERYTHING..... except bulletproof coffee.

seriously it has become my go to fat and since i procure sides of beef and request the entire side, bones fat and all i cant use it fast enough.

Tallow
                          Butter
                          Coconut Oil
                          Duck fat

the rest is silence
                          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Off topic but when McDonalds stopped cooking their fries in tallow and switched to vegetable oil, that's the day the fry died.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAtTaree View Post
                              Off topic but when McDonalds stopped cooking their fries in tallow and switched to vegetable oil, that's the day the fry died.
                              Fry your own. I used to fry them in clarified butter. Fries live.

Comment

Working...
                              X