Ok, so you roasted some meat...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, so you roasted some meat...

So say that using the simple "put meat in the oven and roast at 200 for several hours" method I read about here a few days ago, what would you do to it to make it into a variety of meals over the coming week, things for lunch? Different sauces?

I have a couple of these insulated containers:
    1368884107147.jpg

So if I make, say, a pork tenderloin roast that's seasoned with salt, pepper, and onion; and some sort of beef roast similarly prepared, how can I use them for the week's lunches?

This method is for large cuts of meat that need to cook slowly to tenderize them, not small pieces that cook up very quickly, as pork tenderloin does. Think brisket, or pork shoulder. Besides, your pork tenderloin will serve one hungry person each. There will be no leftovers.

If you meant pork loin, that is different. It is so lean it should not be well-cooked. I trim the sinewy membrane from the outside (and stew that to tenderize it, dice and put into soup) and roast the meat to an internal temperature of 155F or so.

When you do cook brisket or pork shoulder using this method, don't forget to cover the pan.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-18-2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Ditto. It really depends on the cut of meat. This works well for a whole chicken or a pan of thighs and drumsticks. (not at 200F though....I cook a whole chicken at 375-400 for about an hour, hour and a half, pieces a little less) Or a pork shoulder, to make pulled pork. That can go in the crock pot.

It doesn't have to be slow cooked cuts of meat. You can conventionally cook a double or triple batch of any recipe and eat it for days until its gone. And no, you don't get a 'variety' of meals out of it...you eat the same thing till its gone. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I will also roast or bake a bunch of potatoes and/or veggies. Whatever is left over from dinner gets divided up into containers and put in the freezer for hubby's lunches. So leftovers look alot like the original meal.
      Sandra
      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
        Ditto. It really depends on the cut of meat. This works well for a whole chicken or a pan of thighs and drumsticks. (not at 200F though....I cook a whole chicken at 375-400 for about an hour, hour and a half, pieces a little less) Or a pork shoulder, to make pulled pork. That can go in the crock pot.

It doesn't have to be slow cooked cuts of meat. You can conventionally cook a double or triple batch of any recipe and eat it for days until its gone. And no, you don't get a 'variety' of meals out of it...you eat the same thing till its gone. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I will also roast or bake a bunch of potatoes and/or veggies. Whatever is left over from dinner gets divided up into containers and put in the freezer for hubby's lunches. So leftovers look alot like the original meal.
        Chicken cooks quickly, and dark meat chicken acquires a marvelous skin texture when cooked at higher temperatures. I don't use this method for cooking things that cook in an hour. Roasted vegetables should be spread out on a cookie sheet, drizzled in oil, and baked, with stirring, until brown.

The original method I posted was just to put a large chunk of meat in a covered casserole in the oven overnight at 200F and find it done in the morning and ready to shred or eat. Anything else is a different cooking method for a different product.

Comment

Lean meats (also squid and octopus) can be done two ways. Either quick and hot, or slow and low. I screw up octopus on a regular basis, but fortunately, throwing it in some tomato sauce on medium-low heat for a couple of hours fixes it.

For freezing, tomato sauce or fat is excellent. Both will provide a barrier to freezer burn. I eat a lot of beef'n'sauce and occasionally pork'n'sauce - just like when I used to eat pasta, but now either without any starch or over some white rice. You could also marinate the cooked beef sliced thinly in some olive oil and vinegar and put it over a salad if you like salads for lunch. I don't know how that would be with pork since I don't think I've ever eaten cold pork except as ham.

A little curry powder, some milk type product, carrots, and potatoes work well with beef, pork, or chicken. Add chili powder and hot sauce or cayenne to tomato and meat for beanless chili.

Also, look at non-primal recipes and replace the "bad" ingredients with good ones.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            Lean meats (also squid and octopus) can be done two ways. Either quick and hot, or slow and low. I screw up octopus on a regular basis, but fortunately, throwing it in some tomato sauce on medium-low heat for a couple of hours fixes it.

For freezing, tomato sauce or fat is excellent. Both will provide a barrier to freezer burn. I eat a lot of beef'n'sauce and occasionally pork'n'sauce - just like when I used to eat pasta, but now either without any starch or over some white rice. You could also marinate the cooked beef sliced thinly in some olive oil and vinegar and put it over a salad if you like salads for lunch. I don't know how that would be with pork since I don't think I've ever eaten cold pork except as ham.

A little curry powder, some milk type product, carrots, and potatoes work well with beef, pork, or chicken. Add chili powder and hot sauce or cayenne to tomato and meat for beanless chili.

Also, look at non-primal recipes and replace the "bad" ingredients with good ones.
            Wow that sounds really good. One problem I have is not being able to find good sources of octopus. Where do you get yours?
            Spreading the Paleo/Primal message to gamers through my website: http://www.thehealthygamer.com
            Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyJacksChannel

Comment

I roast pork loin at 350F until its internal temp is 165-170F. I do this in a countertop convection/rotisserie oven.

It then gets cooled overnight, then I slice it on my meat slicer and have cold cuts for the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
                You can conventionally cook a double or triple batch of any recipe and eat it for days until its gone. And no, you don't get a 'variety' of meals out of it...you eat the same thing till its gone. And there's nothing wrong with that.
                I was saying a variety because someone else, I think eKatherine, had said she uses the slow-roasting method to prepare the meat that she then uses in different recipes.
                That's kind of like what I'd like to do part of the time--freeze some of the leftovers to eat interspersed over the coming weeks, except for the potatoes. I re-read Mark Sisson on potatoes, and it's clear I should avoid them until I weigh what I want to weigh, which is going to be a while.
                --

What would Andy Taylor do?

Comment

For breakfast a slice of roast meat re-heated by frying briefly in ghee is an excellent sub for bacon - put a couple of eggs on top, fried tomatoes, some cantaloupe on the side - heck why not do some bacon as well and put bacon strips on the slice and let the juices drip all over it.
                  Now I'm hungry

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAtTaree View Post
                    For breakfast a slice of roast meat re-heated by frying briefly in ghee is an excellent sub for bacon - put a couple of eggs on top, fried tomatoes, some cantaloupe on the side - heck why not do some bacon as well and put bacon strips on the slice and let the juices drip all over it.
                    Now I'm hungry
                    You made me hungry too, and it's hours till breakfast
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

For breakfast a slice of roast meat re-heated by frying briefly in ghee is an excellent sub for bacon -
                      Ghee, huh? I've heard of it, but I suspect it's one of those crazy-ass things I'll never have. Would coconut oil do? Sometimes things I make with coconut oil get a little too coconut-ty. Would EVOO do?

--

Comment

Ghee - mate welcome to the wonderful world of Indian Food. Ghee is the perfect cooking fat used by probably a Billion people in Asia and the Near East.

Take about four pounds of unsalted butter (grass fed if you can) and melt it in a big pan. Simmer very gently for an hour or two. If you have a crockpot then that's ideal, just set and forget for a few hours.

Butter consists of butter fat of course, but also contains water, proteins and other stuff that causes butter to burn when used for frying, as well as go rancid fairly quickly outside the fridge. Cooking it slowly drives off the water and cooks the other impurities which turn into brown specks that sink to the bottom, leaving you with a pure fat that smells like nutty shortbread.

When the impurities have been "cooked out" you can either strain through cheesecloth or just ladle very carefully into a jar or container. The ghee will have a lovely nutty flavour, can be used exactly like cooking oil, and will be soft/solid at room temperature. You can just keep it in the cupboard where it will last for months, which is why the Indians invented it millenia ago because they didn't have fridges.

It's also used in French Cooking "Beurre Noisette".

Here's a Chicago Sun-Times article on it.

ghee 1.jpgghee 3.jpg
                        Last edited by MikeAtTaree; 05-19-2013, 05:58 PM. Reason: further info

Comment

Take about four pounds of unsalted butter (grass fed if you can) and melt it in a big pan. Simmer very gently for an hour or two. If you have a crockpot then that's ideal, just set and forget for a few hours.
                          Would you use high or low on the slow cooker? If I'm ladeling the ghee into a container, am I to do it carefully so I leave out the stuff on the bottom?

--

Comment

Cooking meats: I'm a big fan of smoking. Slow and low (temp) does it. Tenderloin, ribs, pork shoulder, chickens, whatever.

Use a charcoal smoker for the best taste, IMHO. It takes time to smoke, but worth it.

I'm also not above using a crockpot on most kinds of meats either, no matter if "normal" cooking methods call for "fast" type of cooking. I just tried the rub on a shoulder from the "user contributed primal cookbook" that you can download here. That stuff was GREAT!

And I also use the grill, but not for really thick stuff, like shoulders, roasts, whole tenderloin. Chickens I would spatchcock.

Comment

In a slow cooker I put it on high till the moisture is bubbling out, about 2 hours, then turn to low for a few hours - I did my last lot for about 5 hours and ladled nearly 100% using a rice serving spoon. The brown bits sink right to the bottom in quite a thin layer. Here's a good article on doing it in a crockpot.

Comment

Working...
                              X