Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 pound pork roast - do you have a good slow cooker recipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 pound pork roast - do you have a good slow cooker recipe?

As summer approaches we have to take advantage of the slow cooker or it gets WAY too hot in our house. So, I have a 3 pound pork roast that I would like to do something with in the slow cooker. Any ideas for me?

Line the bottom with bacon. Out the butt on the bacon turn the cooker on low. Cook for 12- 16 hours depending on size and once done pull it apart. Non Nom. Don't forget to season.

Comment

Mark Sisson's carnitas recipe. Every bit as delicious in a slow cooker.
      be the hair that knots with my hair
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

+1 for carnitas. Since trying Mark's recipe out, I'm never without carnitas in the house, either fresh or in the freezer for a quick carnitas+fried eggs+green salsa pick me up!

Comment

How about getting a Master Stock happening? Get some chicken carcass frames and smash them up then slow cook overnight in water to cover the bones, onions, garlic, ginger, honey, a couple of star anise, some salt and a spoonful of sesame oil. Maybe a splash of naturally fermented soy sauce.

Then strain off this stock and slowly cook the pork in this. Drain off all the stock mk.2 and keep in jar in fridge or freeze. Then slow cook a 4 pound chicken next time, refreshing the stock with more water, spices, ginger etc. Every time you use it the stock gets richer and more complex.

I believe some Chinese restaurants have had their closely-guarded master stock going for years.

Comment

Slow-Cooked Coconut Ginger Pork | Mark's Daily Apple

Another MDA recipe... I'll vouch for this one's awesomeness.

Comment

Butter, salt, pepper, juniper berries, fennel.

Comment

I do this and skip the gravy part and leave out the clove.

Crock Pot Pork Roast With Gravy - Recipe - Cooks.com

I freeze the drippings for making soup another time.

Comment

Pollo slightly off topic but if you don't want to heat your house with cooking we use a parabolic solar cooker and it works really well. In fact I think the food comes out better than it does in the oven.

The Premium Solar-Cooker by "SUN AND ICE" - YouTube
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

My all time favorite pork roast is searing the roast, then topping it with a can of salsa verde and letting it cook for 5 hours in a slow cooker (or whatever you normally cook roast for desired doness). My folks prefer if I rub it with a freshly grated fennel, coriander, black pepper and salt, sear and then cook on a bed of 'cut-outs' in a slow cooker. I normally serve it with a slaw-based salad with home-made mayo or one of the beets salads.
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                      Pollo slightly off topic but if you don't want to heat your house with cooking we use a parabolic solar cooker and it works really well. In fact I think the food comes out better than it does in the oven.

The Premium Solar-Cooker by "SUN AND ICE" - YouTube
                      Wow, that's cool! How much does one of those typically cost?

Thanks for the recipe ideas everyone. :-)

Comment

We got ours I think 4 yrs ago and I believe it was $400, not cheap, but I think it's worth it. The company is German, there may now be something similar made domestically. I just love using absolutely no fossil fuels. You can use it year round as long as there is sun.
                        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Honeyville sells one in that price range.

Comment

Hummmm, very cool. Another "fun gadget" to think about!! Really, for what it is, that is not TOO expensive. Unfortunately I don't have $400 laying around right now, but it's definitely something to keep in mind!

Comment

We make this frequently. So easy, so delicious, and the recipe is right here on MDA! Garlic Pulled Pork
                              My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                              On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Working...
                              X