Uses for fresh apricots?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uses for fresh apricots?

Got a HUGE box of apricots with my CSA yesterday, besides jam, recipe suggestions anyone?

Fresh apricots are great as they are, but i like to grill them on a griddlepan and serve with a big, chunky pork chop.

Comment

Make an apricot chicken curry. Yum.

Or melt chocolate over it an make apricot chocolate.
      Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
      https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
      MFP Food Diary:
      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
      (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

Apricot pie

Comment

Look into Central Asian recipes for goat or lamb. Apricot is used there as sour apples or prunes with pork in German and Eastern Europenian Cooking. A lot of those dishes will involve slow-simmered stews with rice, so, depending on your restrictions you might or might not use rice. I am sure cauliflower can stand in. but you will need to add it in the end of the cooking.

Cold summer soups can be made from boiled apricots boiled for a short time in a relatively small amount of water. Let steep for a day or two, then serve chilled with a dollop of yogurt or herbs.

I am pretty sure apricots will make a great salsa or chutney as well. Just sub for pineapple or mango.

Halve and freeze them or dry them They do ripen fast.

To be honest though, if I got a box of raw appricots, I would just eat the whole box raw.... Love them!
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
            To be honest though, if I got a box of raw appricots, I would just eat the whole box raw.... Love them!
            Ditto, fresh ones are rarely available in my area and it's possibly my favorite fruit.
            37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I would probably flavour some liquor with them.

Comment

Originally posted by upupandaway View Post
                I would probably flavour some liquor with them.
                In fact, screw the apricots

Comment

Apricot Chicken Recipe
                  1 1/2 pounds apricots, roughly chopped, pits removed and discarded
                  2 tbs honey ( you can omit this, its not as sweet but I don't always use it)
                  2 Tbsp cider vinegar
                  2 pounds skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
                  1 Tbsp butter (can sub olive oil)
                  1 Tbsp olive oil
                  1 finely chopped onion
                  2 cups chicken stock or water
                  1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (dried is ok but use less)
                  1 teaspoon cinnamon
                  2 teaspoons Tabasco or other hot sauce (you can add more if you like)
                  Black pepper and salt to taste

Method

1 Place the chopped apricots in a large bowl. Stir in the honey (if using)and the vinegar. Let sit while you brown the chicken in the next step.

2 In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, place chicken pieces in the pan, without crowding the pan, and brown them on each side. Once the chicken is browned, remove the pieces from the pan to a bowl and set aside.

3 Add the onion and sauté it until it begins to brown. Once the onions have browned a bit, add the chicken stock and lower the heat to medium.

4 Put about 2/3 of the apricots, along with any juice they have given up, into a blender and blend into a purée. Pour the purée into the pan with the chicken stock and onions.

5 Add the cinnamon, rosemary and Tabasco and taste. add salt and pepper to taste. simmer for 5 minutes

6 add the chicken and the remaining apricot pieces to the pan and bring to the boil then simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through

*you can also use pork instead of chicken
                  When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                  27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                  new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                    In fact, screw the apricots

How well you know me...

Comment

I thought the best flavoring of the liquor will be with the seeds, if they are not bitter type? I know that jam made from fresh apricots and non-bitter apricot seeds is to die for. Bitter seeds are trouble, of course. Poison and all that. Doesn't hurt to crush a stone and take a tiny taste. Dunno if they took it on faith that all seeds in the batch will be sweet or tasted every seed? They are better than almonds, lol. I am sure if you properly soak and dry them, you can have an awesome stash.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                      X