No announcement yet.

Hearty Packed Lunches For Outdoor Work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearty Packed Lunches For Outdoor Work?

My husband is a farmer and also works tending graveyards and other people's properties. He is out in the outdoors working HARD. A salad will not do for my husband. I usually make him a sandwich and send some fruit. I want to get my husband off grains because he is having some joint pain and inflamation (a young fit 27 year old should not have this). Also he is a very basic eater. He does eat my more exotic creations but he is not used to them. He is weirded out by things that do not seem like the standard Americn idea of a meal. Suggestions?

Some sort of thermal flask or lunchbox, filled with chilli, meat loaf or stew?

Comment

You could look at making your own bread, paleo-style. TGIPaleo.com has a recipe I am going to try, its her Paleo Bread 2.0. Coconut flour, egg whites, and egg white powder are all included, which will give a big dose of filling protein. Then he can still have his sandwiches without all the irritating grains.

Other options-
      Roasted chicken pieces served cold are usually tasty, that plus a big salad or other veggie side.
      Sliced meat and cheese "wraps"

Comment

I was thinking about a thermos. Probably would not be great on 90 degree days but maybe on normal days. I will check out the bread recipe.

Comment

I work outdoors, and right now it's already close to 100, so I'm usually going for cool foods. I bring a small cooler and get a ton of ice in it.

My favorites?

Boiled and peeled eggs
          Olives
          Pickles (check the ingredients)
          Cheese (either sliced or chunks)
          A few nuts
          Sliced deli meat (again, check the ingredients)
          Carrots

I'm also a huge fan of the cans of carbonated water. Sometimes you just want those bubbles, and they really do the trick.
          Durp.

Comment

Take a glass baking dish. Put in a lb of ground beef that you've sauteed. Add one grated sweet potato if you like carbs. Whisk a dozen eggs and pour over the top. Bake until set. Slice. Put several slices in lunchbox with some hunks of raw cheese and a piece of fruit if you really like carbs.

Or hard-boiled eggs, cheese, and cooked strips of steak, and a can of sardines. Throw in a can of coconut milk for extra heavy days.

Either way, he won't be hungry.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

If you add cheese, I find it really satisfying to roll sliced cheese with sliced deli-style meat (if you eat that) like a pinwheel; a large hamburger with whatever his favorite toppings are (just no bun - even my own SO does this now! and I am finding I like the "smothered" burger better without the bread now anyway); also a cheat to quick chili is to cook ground whatever meat (or sausage), then add spaghetti sauce, then season as you like adding heat/spice/cumin to make it taste like chili. Hard workers do need carbs but they don't need bread; does he eat sweet potatoes at all? If so, include them, and remember white rice is a pretty clean gluten/allergen free source of carbs (mix it in the chili) etc. Also, maybe have him try bulletproof (butter) coffee in the mornings, it should help his stamina all day: 1/2 to 3/4 stick butter, blended in hot coffee; you don't even need creamer or sweetener with it.
              Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Here's what I mean by smothered burgers! Burger Party | The Domestic Man
                Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Keep the ideas coming peeps! I've had a Big-Ass-Salad everyday for lunch for the past 6 weeks and I almost ready for a change.
                  The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

a couple sausages and bacon with some veggies or salsa wrapped in an omelette and rolled up in foil. An all day breakfast burrito!. I love em hot or cold
                    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

If he is in love with sandwiches, could always try the gluten free options. These are usually rice, potatoes, tapioca. Not terrible.

Send him on his way with some beef jerky, or perhaps make up some bacon for him to munch on. Could always do a kabob, too. And fruit is good.
                      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Inside those lunch meat roll up, along with cheese add some Avo and kale. Yummy

Comment

I had 3 dill pickle spears wrapped in sliced turkey. Also sliced baby cucumbers and grape tomatoes. Several green stuffed olives. About a cup of watermelon chunks. Kept me full all afternoon.

Comment

If he is comfortable with deconstructed sandwiches just send him with a fork/knife and more of what you usually put in his sandwiches My lunches for the last few weeks have been:

- a cold leftover hamburger (I love leftover meat cold, maybe that is just me) with dipping mayo (I've been lazy and using store mayo (gasp!) but you can easily make your own. I usually bring grape tomatoes or leftover veggies on the side and then a container of strawberries or some other berry.
                            - leftover meatloaf with the same (mayo to dip, side of veggies, fruit)
                            - leftover grilled chicken

If you want to pack in the calories - send him with a few slices of bacon as someone suggested, mix some heavy cream into the berries, pack a container of macadamia nuts or some almond butter and a banana...

I'm so envious of him having a job that actually requires fueling

Note: The dipping mayo I make uses Penzey's "Northwoods" seasoning which is amazing. I just mix ~1tsp in to 2 tbsp of mayo... so good.

Comment

Originally posted by GailM View Post
                              I had 3 dill pickle spears wrapped in sliced turkey. Also sliced baby cucumbers and grape tomatoes. Several green stuffed olives. About a cup of watermelon chunks. Kept me full all afternoon.
                              I eat more than that while I make lunch.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                              X