No announcement yet.

How can I learn to love Kale?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dice 3 or 4 (or more) slices of bacon. Saute slowly to render as much fat out as possible. While that's cooking tear kale into bite sized pieces, remember to pull it off the thick middle stem which takes longer to cook and can sometimes be bitter. I get the dino kale since it seems to have a milder flavor. Save the middle stems for the chickens or compost heap.

Once the bacon is done to your satisfaction (for this dish I like it crispy) toss in the torn-up kale pieces. Using a set of tongs (or if you have awesome pan skills) toss the kale till its well mixed with the bacon. Allow to cook for, AT MOST, a minute. You basically want the kale slightly wilted but you don't want it mushy-mushy kale is yuck. I've found that Munchkin likes it best when the kale has been slightly warmed and is still pretty crunchy. Serve immediately.

I also like raw kale chopped and added to a big ass salad. With the mix of lettuces and other veggies the kale taste isn't to strong.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

I LOVE kale chips ... a quick, easy snack to prepare!
      I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66249.html

Comment

Kale fried in lard is delicious, but I also agree that kale isn't necessary in your diet. If you hate it then avoid it!
        Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
        http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I once saw an old Scottish recipe for kale that involved boiling/simmering for hours, then adding butter, salt and pepper to the goo. In days of yore they believed that vegetable matter was indigestible if not boiled into submission. I doubt if many of the nutrients survived the process.

Comment

Yes, I tried repeatedly, but I can't make myself like kale, either.
            As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Comment

If you do smoothies that is a good way to get kale. I make mine with homemade coconut milk kefir, TJ's raw kale, and frozed berries from Costco. I actually like the bitter flavor that kale adds to the smoothie -- especially since some of my coconut milk kekir batches come out pretty sour. If I want to hide the kale flavor for somebody else I just add a banana to the mix.

Comment

I just eat raw kale, tasty.

Comment

Cook it with bacon ends and pieces. Pick out the bacon and let somebody else eat the kale.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                    Cook it with bacon ends and pieces. Pick out the bacon and let somebody else eat the kale.
                    be the hair that knots with my hair
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifla View Post
                      Yes, I tried repeatedly, but I can't make myself like kale, either.
                      And you shouldn't feel you have to either. All these recipes are about disguising/hiding the true taste and texture of kale. My question is not How to learn to love kale but rather Why should I bother?
                      Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                      That is the perfect kale recipe, Katherine.

Comment

I just put loads of coconut or olive oil all over it and sautee it or make kale chips - goes down pretty easy that way for me!

Comment

I really love kale in a primal version of Spanish Tortillas. Just leave out the potato, add more onion, and use less olive oil and don't drain it. I practically lived on tortillas in Spain, they're so freakin' delicious.

It's a laborious recipe but I enjoy making it for a culinary treat on the weekends. I tried it once with chopped bacon but it made the bacon soggy, and honestly the flavor of the tortilla doesn't need the help. The texture of kale holds up in the tortilla better than spinach, which is too tender and tends to flatten in clumps while cooking. It's yummy hot or cold (how you'd frequently get it in Spain). I'm sure kale be great in a crustless quiche/breakfast casserole/other egg configuration as well. Hope this helps!

Comment

I agree with the premise of not eating it if you really hate it, that said sometimes it just takes the right recipe (or a number of exposures) for you to love the thing you hated!

I would suggest:

1 - Cut away any course or tough stems, steam until tender (if it's undercooked it will be more bitter so experiment with steaming times) while the kale is steaming chuck a lump of GF salted butter into a pan and melt gently, add minced/chopped garlic and cook on a low heat for a couple of minutes. Watch the garlic closely, don't let it brown as it changes the flavour (great for Asian food but it's not what we want here). Once the kale is cooked pour the garlic butter over it and ENJOY!

2 - Some foods are awful on their own but when they are teamed up with a complimentary flavour they just work. The recipe above should be a side dish to something like meatballs in tomato sauce, it has to be teamed up with a strong flavour as kale can be pretty strong tasting.

Good luck and let us know if you find something amongst the suggestion that helps!

Comment

Fast Paleo Saag (Kale) Paneer - Paleo Recipe Sharing Site - be sure to take the central rib out of the kale leaf - and slice finely - THIS is a delicious recipe - enjoy !

Comment

FWIW i drink a kale shake almost every morning. Try it for a week and you'll be converted
                                Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Comment

Working...
                                X