Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Pizza!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
    What is the calorie,carb, fiber breakdown of this fantastic pizza crust(the whole pizza)?? I'd love to know!!

    does tapioca flour carry less carbs then wheat flour?

    I always make an almond flour crust that I LOVE, but I'd love to know if this is as lower carb as the nut one...
    I ran the numbers on the crust and they came to roughly- calories: 2010, fat: 128.74, carbs: 188.68 and protein: 19.08. I'm not sure how that would compare to wheat flour, but it definitely has more carbs than nut flour. I think the O6 ratio is much better in the tapioca crust though
    www.feedtheclan.com

    Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Merlin_AZ View Post
      My wife made this last night, and it was wonderful.
      A little too "coconutty" for us, though.
      It was mentioned that someone was going to try to cut some of the coconut oil with ghee.
      Did that work?
      Any other thoughts?
      I told my wife to avoid cutting the coconut oil with olive oil because of the cooking temps.
      Thoughts?
      Thanks in advance.
      I haven't heard back about whether or not ghee worked out, but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't. Once I make some more ghee, I'll give it a try. Another high heat oil to try would be avocado if you have that.
      www.feedtheclan.com

      Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

      Comment


      • #48
        THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC! I would make it minus the cheese - YUM!

        Comment


        • #49
          Made this last weekend and it was awesome. I made mine on a pizza baking stone, so it was crispier, I think, but the texture was dead on for normal crust. Like one of the other people mentioned, it was a little too coconuty for me, but my wife said she didn't taste it at all. I'll try the refined oil next time and sub in some bacon fat. I'm now dreaming of other uses for this...cheese bread, paninis, mmm. Thanks for posting!!

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Merlin_AZ View Post
            My wife made this last night, and it was wonderful.
            A little too "coconutty" for us, though.
            It was mentioned that someone was going to try to cut some of the coconut oil with ghee.
            Did that work?
            Any other thoughts?
            I told my wife to avoid cutting the coconut oil with olive oil because of the cooking temps.
            Thoughts?
            Thanks in advance.
            Here's a handy guide to smoke points: Cooking Oil Smoke Points - it looks like the only olive oil with a smoke point lower than coconut oil is unrefined. EVOO should work.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

            B*tch-lite

            Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

            Comment


            • #51
              Sounds great, one question though: I don't know where to get coconut flour, can I just use more tapioca flour instead?

              Comment


              • #52
                So I made it again last night. I was too lazy to take pictures but I will report my findings.

                I used 1/4 grass-fed butter and 1\4 cup REFINED coconut oil.

                It was freaking delicious. The butter really changed the flavor of the crust. Toppings were uncured pepperoni, spicy italian sausage, fresh basil, tomatoes, roasted garlic, grilled onions and peppers. I ate way too much of it!
                The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by jaczor View Post
                  Sounds great, one question though: I don't know where to get coconut flour, can I just use more tapioca flour instead?
                  It would be too chewy with just tapioca. You should be able to order coconut flour on Amazon. Potato or white rice flour would work as well, but I'm not sure of the ratios that you would use.

                  Originally posted by aliphian View Post
                  So I made it again last night. I was too lazy to take pictures but I will report my findings.

                  I used 1/4 grass-fed butter and 1\4 cup REFINED coconut oil.

                  It was freaking delicious. The butter really changed the flavor of the crust. Toppings were uncured pepperoni, spicy italian sausage, fresh basil, tomatoes, roasted garlic, grilled onions and peppers. I ate way too much of it!
                  Yum! I plan on making it tomorrow night with pretty much the same ingredients. Can't wait! I had a feeling that the butter/ghee would be fantastic.
                  www.feedtheclan.com

                  Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by TanyaV View Post
                    I had a feeling that the butter/ghee would be fantastic.
                    It definitely resulted in better browning.
                    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      I made it for dinner, I used almond flour instead of coconut because I didn't have any.

                      The crust ended up being too hard, my guess is that I over cooked it, it is completely stiff and hard to chew. Could it be because I used almond flour instead of coconut? I wouldn't think so but I'm no expert.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by jaczor View Post
                        I made it for dinner, I used almond flour instead of coconut because I didn't have any.

                        The crust ended up being too hard, my guess is that I over cooked it, it is completely stiff and hard to chew. Could it be because I used almond flour instead of coconut? I wouldn't think so but I'm no expert.
                        That could very well be. Almond flour and coconut flour produce very different textures.
                        The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Thanks to everyone that responded to my question.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by jaczor View Post
                            I made it for dinner, I used almond flour instead of coconut because I didn't have any.

                            The crust ended up being too hard, my guess is that I over cooked it, it is completely stiff and hard to chew. Could it be because I used almond flour instead of coconut? I wouldn't think so but I'm no expert.
                            I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you Yes, almond flour and coconut flour behave differently and can't be interchanged in recipes. Are you able to get one of the other flours that I mentioned? If not, you could try using just tapioca flour and cut the water amount down to maybe 1/2-3/4 cup. I would eyeball how wet it looks with 1/2 cup and go from there.
                            www.feedtheclan.com

                            Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Hnnnnnng that looks so good.
                              Spreading the Paleo/Primal message to gamers through my website: http://www.thehealthygamer.com
                              Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyJacksChannel

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I just made this. The dough was more like a giant lump of rubber. Very hard to mix the coconut flour and eggs in. I ended up putting it in my stand mixer for a little help. It was also hard to spread out on my tray. Looks great though now that the crust is baked. I am waiting for my husband to get home to finish it up. I wish he would hurry!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X