Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Pizza!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
    I think this looks pretty promising. The recipe resembles Brazilian cheese bread, minus the cheese. I'm going to try it tonight as a Naan-esque accompaniment to a curry dish. Do you think it's bendy enough to work as bread for a gyro? That would be awesome!
    Definitely! Like little vase said it is pretty bendy. The naan and gyro ideas sound fantastic!
    www.feedtheclan.com

    Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by little vase View Post
      Definitely bendy enough! I just took the last 4 squares of the batch I made and put them in the toaster for my husband's and son's breakfast. They spread mashed avocado on them and added sliced tomatoes and salt and pepper and the bread was soft and chewy, with very crunch ends. They are extremely flexible, even after being toasted. My husband's already requested that this be a weekly thing. He doesn't want to overdo baked goods but this is probably the best baked good palefaux we've ever tried
      Yeah, it's pretty addicting! I used the same dough to make a stuffed focaccia that turned out awesome! I'll probably post that recipe on here next I'm so glad that your family is enjoying this
      www.feedtheclan.com

      Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Badkty22 View Post
        Wow, definitely going to try this ASAP! I've seen all the meatza/cauliflower crust/etc interpretations, and while I think they are clever, I know they just aren't going to cut it when I want pizza with a real crust.

        Also, thanks for the pics on your blog, I love that you take pictures every step of the way and show exactly what it should be looking like at every step- very helpful when making a new recipe!
        My thoughts exactly! Meatza is tasty, but it's not pizza. If you try it out, please let me know what you think
        www.feedtheclan.com

        Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

        Comment


        • #19
          This looks pretty similar to the Domestic Man's recipe, which is amazing, but definitely needs the crunch of coconut flour that you had the foresight to put in your recipe. I find the best pizza crust imitations are the ones with a tapioca flour base... not sure why. Spose they give it sort of a chewy, bready consistency...

          Next time I need pizza, I'll give this recipe a try!

          Comment


          • #20
            Just took one of these Pizza's out of the oven, cheese, black and green olive...didn't want to try the first one with meat in case it doesn't turn out well. This is almost the same as my cheesy bread recipe without the cheese in the crust and more tapioca flour.... the crust came out a little fluffier looking than your pictures but a little too chewy in the middle half. Pretty good overall... with a little tweaking on the crust this will do nicely.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by rockrunner View Post
              Just took one of these Pizza's out of the oven, cheese, black and green olive...didn't want to try the first one with meat in case it doesn't turn out well. This is almost the same as my cheesy bread recipe without the cheese in the crust and more tapioca flour.... the crust came out a little fluffier looking than your pictures but a little too chewy in the middle half. Pretty good overall... with a little tweaking on the crust this will do nicely.
              It could be that you didn't press it out thin enough. I take a good bit of time to ensure that it's pressed out pretty thin (about 1/4 inch) and has an even thickness throughout. Hopefully that helps you
              www.feedtheclan.com

              Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Argon View Post
                This looks pretty similar to the Domestic Man's recipe, which is amazing, but definitely needs the crunch of coconut flour that you had the foresight to put in your recipe. I find the best pizza crust imitations are the ones with a tapioca flour base... not sure why. Spose they give it sort of a chewy, bready consistency...

                Next time I need pizza, I'll give this recipe a try!
                yep, similar to domestic man's for sure;

                I love Tapioca because of the chewy texture, which works to imitate the gluten stretch of flour as well, which is one of the special qualities of pizza crust and brazillian cheese balls.

                It might be interesting to replace the coconut oil with bacon fat or butter ?
                Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Wulf View Post
                  yep, similar to domestic man's for sure;

                  I love Tapioca because of the chewy texture, which works to imitate the gluten stretch of flour as well, which is one of the special qualities of pizza crust and brazillian cheese balls.

                  It might be interesting to replace the coconut oil with bacon fat or butter ?
                  I'm sure bacon fat or butter would be awesome! If you try it with one of those, please let me know how it turns out
                  www.feedtheclan.com

                  Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Ok, just finished eating our pizza using this crust- so good! Only modification I did was added a bit of dried italian herbs in addition to the garlic. We had BBQ chicken pizza. Cheated a bit and used a bottled BBQ sauce, otherwise all Primal. I'm going to experiment and see if I can sub out some of the tapioca for something lower carb, maybe egg white protein powder. My folks are trying to lose weight using Atkins so they are watching carbs closely. And yes, I've tried to convince them to just go Primal...baby steps.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Fantastic! I'm glad you enjoyed it I would love to hear how it turns out using the protein powder.
                      www.feedtheclan.com

                      Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Can't wait to try this! I'll post results here, and maybe even pictures!
                        The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Ok so the protein powder was a disaster. I tried at first to just cut the tapioca down to 1/2 cup, added 1 cup of protein and kept everything else the same, that batch got kind of puffy but also was very gooey even when fully cooked.

                          Next batch I cut down the water and coconut oil in half, again tried 1/2 cup tapioca and then went for 1/2 cup protein, this one just came out hard and chewy. Hmm. Of course this could be entirely baker error, I'm not great with baked goods, and especially trying to figure out proportions of different flours.

                          I think my next step may be to try an almond flour, this egg powder is clearly not working for me. Before I get yelled at by the anti nut-flour crowd, my goal here is lowest net carbs possible, as this is an experiment for my parents, who are following Atkins.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I'm sorry that it didn't work. I was hoping that it would. I've never baked with any kind of protein powder so I don't know how it behaves in baked goods. I actually have a low carb crust that I'm working on perfecting. I'll probably make it within the next couple of days and I'll report back with the final results. It does use almond flour, but I don't have a problem cooking with it once in awhile either
                            www.feedtheclan.com

                            Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by TanyaV View Post
                              I made a primal pizza the other night that I think is really good. The crust is grain and nut free and you can hold it and fold it. I've tried a lot of other primal pizza crusts, mine isn't low carb, but it is much closer to traditional pizza. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

                              Our Love Affair With Pizza | FEED THE CLAN
                              My Gal and I made this last weekend, and it turned out FANTASTIC!!!! Great job with the crust, and thanks for posting.
                              Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Badkty22 View Post
                                Ok so the protein powder was a disaster. I tried at first to just cut the tapioca down to 1/2 cup, added 1 cup of protein and kept everything else the same, that batch got kind of puffy but also was very gooey even when fully cooked.

                                Next batch I cut down the water and coconut oil in half, again tried 1/2 cup tapioca and then went for 1/2 cup protein, this one just came out hard and chewy. Hmm. Of course this could be entirely baker error, I'm not great with baked goods, and especially trying to figure out proportions of different flours.

                                I think my next step may be to try an almond flour, this egg powder is clearly not working for me. Before I get yelled at by the anti nut-flour crowd, my goal here is lowest net carbs possible, as this is an experiment for my parents, who are following Atkins.
                                As someone who has spent a LOT of time experimenting with protein powder baking, let me just tell you it's extremely difficult... I could give you some fabulous, totally paleo no-bake snacks/desserts which use protein powder (fudge, pudding, cereal, granola bars...) that I've come up with over months of experimentation. but every time I've tried to bake with it, no matter how much flour I supplemented or fat I added, it's been a disaster.

                                Save yourself the money and time... protein powder mixes well into things, but unfortunately that's about where the magic ends :/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X