Lamb/Beef bone broth...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamb/Beef bone broth...

I rarely eat lamb, but I've a few bones that I would like to use for bone broth. Would you mix beef & lamb bones for broth? I wouldn't mix beef and poultry...is there a reason to avoid mixing beef and lamb? It would be mainly beef bones in the mix.

I'd mix them, no reason not to. Lamb broth is my favorite if I can get enough bones for it; it will taste fine to use both.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanna View Post
      I'd mix them, no reason not to.
      Ditto.
      Half the fun of making stock is the slight flavor variation each time.
      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Havent tried myself but heard the lamb can add a really odd smell though

Comment

Why not mix beef and poultry? They make a fine stock together and I've had some ace soups from mixed stocks like this. Lamb is actually my least favourite stock - the flavour of lamb is very pronounced and can overwhelm some more delicate flavoured vegetables.

Comment

I don't care to mix beef/poultry fat, and I've never really cared to mix those two proteins though I can't say why. I appreciate the input, when it comes time to make my bone broth I will toss both sets of bones into the cooker. I must say that I really enjoyed the lamb, it is the first time I've made it. I still have a lamb shank in the freezer to cook, and also have one small beef soup bone so I might try braising the two together...

Comment

My local supermarket sells packs of lamb soup bones, I slow cook them in my crockpot with some chopped celery, carrot and onion then strain them out. Makes a wonderful stock for curries etc. and I keep a few takeaway containers in the freezer.
              As an experiment when I made beef stock from some marrow bones I poured a container of lamb broth into the crockpot as part of the liquid. Yummy.

Comment

Working...
              X