• Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are eating fish, check out these two recipes from the Forum:

PRIMAL SEAFOOD SOUP: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77290.html

and

HERRING SALAD: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1150520
    Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

I'm so glad to see this thread! Christ is in our midst!

Comment

He is and ever will be! Blessed Lent!
        Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

Here's an interesting "hummus" recipe:

JALAPENO, LIME, AND CASHEW HUMMUS

INGREDIENTS

• 30g Cashew Nuts
          • Juice of one large fresh lime
          • 3 cloves fresh garlic
          • 2 heaping tablespoons jalapeños
          • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil*
          • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
          • Pinch of cumin, to taste
          • Red pepper flakes, to taste
          • Pinch of sea salt, to taste
          (*Note: you may need to substitute some other cold pressed oil.)

PREPARATION

1. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth, adding oil until desired consistency.

I haven't tried this recipe yet. I found it here:
          NJ Paleo Girl: Paleo Lent- Week #3: A Taste of Mexico
          Ruth

Comment

Blessed Feast of the Adoration of the Holy Cross! Third Sunday in Lent

Here's my report on the weekend so far:

Thursday evening - my brother and sister in law arrived. We went out for supper -- DH and I had the scallops.
            Friday breakfast - Buckwheat pancakes (post #3) with sliced strawberries, maple syrup, coffee with coconut milk
            Friday lunch -- out to lunch with my brother and SIL. I had my choice of a veggie burger or a Greek Salad -- I chose the Greek Salad (confession: I ate the Feta cheese in the salad - however, when we fast we are not to call attention to ourselves or to make life difficult for another person. Sometimes this means not eating completely Lenten. I had no desire to eat the veggie burger.)
            Friday Supper - Curried Sweet Potato Soup (post #56) and Honey Mustard Waldorf Salad (post #57), dark chocolate for dessert. My brother and SIL left, and my son arrived.
            Saturday Brunch - Lenten Oat-Nut Waffles (post #26) with Sauteed Apples (post #17), grapefruit half, coffee & coconut milk
            Saturday afternoon snack - can of sardines in olive oil (borderline Lenten) and an orange
            Saturday supper after church school and Vespers - The Easiest Thai Curry Ever (post #20), Cauliflower Rice (post #13), and leftover Honey Mustard Waldorf Salad (post #57), a piece of dark chocolate for dessert
            Sunday morning - fast for Liturgy - made a big salad in my punch bowl (post # 27) for coffee hour. At coffee hour I ate vegetarian borscht, some roasted root veggies, various salads, and fruit for dessert. I skipped the breads, bagels, cakes, cookies, and donuts. (With practice it has gotten easier to ignore them.)
            Sunday afternoon, we snacked on nuts, fruit, green pepper with nut butter, and coffee with coconut milk
            Now, I'm trying to figure out what we will have for supper tonight!
            Last edited by Antiochia; 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM.
            Ruth

Comment

Hmmmmm... I think we'll have Tempeh tonight. I see from Mark's Post
              10 Things to Know about Tofu | Mark's Daily Apple
              .. that Tempeh is okay!!!!

Quote:
              "7. Tempeh
              Here’s where soy gets healthy (finally!). Fermented soy products are rich in isoflavones, which are excellent for the heart and may even prevent cancer. The good news is that you can find fermented soy milk and tofu if you look for it (and grocery stores will often start carrying it if you just ask). Tempeh is a chewy, nutty, meaty type of soy product that is loaded with isoflavones, so I do recommend this. I think it’s a lot tastier than tofu, too.
              "
              Last edited by Antiochia; 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM.
              Ruth

Comment

Here is what we had for supper (this was amazingly good!):

TEMPEH CACCIATORE
                (a wine and oil recipe)

1 onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
                1 large carrot, diced (about 3/4 cup)
                Olive oil
                16 oz. tempeh, cut in cubes or rectangles
                1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
                1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
                2 celery stalks, sliced (about 3/4 cup)
                2 14-oz. cans diced tomatoes
                3/4 cup dry red wine
                3/4 cup vegetable stock (OR 3/4 cup water + 1 teaspoon vegetable broth flavoring)
                1 teaspoon garlic powder
                1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
                1 teaspoon dried basil
                1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
                1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more for sprinkling)
                1/2 teaspoon pepper (plus more for sprinkling)
                1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
                1/2 pound (or more) mushrooms, sliced
                3 tablespoons drained capers (optional)
                1 head cabbage, sliced (to use as a noodle substitute)
                Olives

In a good sized soup pot, sauté (or sweat) the onion and carrots in olive oil (I used 1/4 cup). After stirring and sautéing for several minutes, turn the heat down to low and simmer in the olive oil for 15 or 20 minutes or until the onions and carrots are tender.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet or electric fry pan, brown the tempeh in olive oil, sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Remove from pan and reserve in a bowl or plate.

Stir-fry the bell peppers and celery in olive oil. When the bell peppers and celery are as done as you like, add them to the container with the tempeh.

Add your sliced cabbage to the skillet, and stir fry until as done as you like. Sprinkle with salt. Sauté more cabbage than you think you need because it cooks down. You may need to do several batches as it cooks down, and then combine the batches to rewarm before serving . The sautéed cabbage will be your “noodle bed” for the cacciatore.

When the onions and carrots are cooked add the cooked tempeh, peppers, and celery. Then add the diced tomatoes, red wine, vegetable stock, garlic powder, oregano, basil, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or so, letting the liquid reduce and the flavors blend. Just before it is done, put the cabbage in a serving dish and cover. Add the sliced mushrooms to the hot skillet, with olive oil as needed and sauté until as done as you like. Add the sliced mushrooms to the cacciatore, along with the drained capers. Stir in gently and remove from heat.

Serve the cacciatore on top of the sautéed cabbage with your favorite varieties of olives and the rest of the bottle of wine!

Variation: For a feasting recipe, replace the tempeh with bone-in chicken thighs and serve with grated Parmesan cheese

I got the idea from Tempeh Cacciatore
                Last edited by Antiochia; 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM.
                Ruth

Comment

While I'm at it, here is another Tempeh recipe that I like:

TEMPEH "CHICKEN-STYLE" SALAD

1 8 oz. package tempeh, cubed
                  1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
                  1 stalk celery, finely chopped
                  1 dill pickle, finely chopped (optional)
                  1/4 cup chopped onion
                  2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
                  1 tsp prepared Dijon mustard
                  2 tsp Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
                  Dash of Garlic Powder
                  Romaine Lettuce
                  Sliced Tomato

Directions:
                  Steam the cubed tempeh for 15 minutes on medium-high heat. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, celery, pickle, onion, parsley, mustard, Braggs/soy sauce, and garlic powder. Gently mix in the steamed tempeh. Let chill in the fridge for a while to let the tempeh absorb the flavors from the rest of the salad. Serve over romaine lettuce with sliced tomato.

Makes 4 servings.
                  Last edited by Antiochia; 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM.
                  Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Antiochia View Post
                    Thank you for the link love! I'm so glad that you started this thread. I'll be referring back to it next year for more recipe ideas.
                    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaV View Post
                      Thank you for the link love! I'm so glad that you started this thread. I'll be referring back to it next year for more recipe ideas.
                      Thanks for checking out my thread! I will continue to add recipes throughout the year, because we also eat Lenten food the first two weeks of August before celebrating the Dormition & Assumption of the Virgin Mary, and at Advent. Also, when we aren't in a feasting time, we fast on most Wednesdays and Fridays, which is great practice for Lent, Dormition, and Advent!
                      Ruth

Comment

Today, I was so full from the Tempeh Cacciatore last night, that I wasn't hungry for breakfast -- just had my warm water and lemon, coffee with coconut milk, a glass of V-8 juice, and my supplements. For lunch at the preschool I took cooked shrimp, and cocktail sauce (made from organic catsup, horseradish, and balsamic vinegar mixed to taste) some sliced cucumber, and an orange. There was a staff meeting after work so I was late getting home. I didn't think I could look at another shrimp today, so I just opened a can of Amy's organic Split Pea Soup. I know -- not primal!

So, I'll just share a favorite recipe with you. This is a wonderful dessert to take to Lenten potlucks (that is, unless people are fasting from chocolate -- you might have to substitute raisins or dates):

GRAIN-FREE CARROT BROWNIES

This recipe adapted from:Flourless Carrot Brownies

Ingredients:
                        • 1-3/4 cups (16-oz.) unsalted natural almond butter
                        • 3 cups finely grated carrots (about 6 carrots)
                        • 2/3 cup honey
                        • 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 1/3 cup cool water
                        • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
                        • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
                        • 2 tsp baking soda
                        • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
                        • 1 tsp salt
                        • 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
                        • 1 10-oz. package dark chocolate chips

Directions:
                        Preheat oven to 350°, grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Note on carrots – when grating use the small side of a box grater, they need to be small to disappear into the brownies.

In a small bowl whisk the flaxseed meal and water together, let rest for 10 minutes to thicken. Then, in a large bowl, stir all the ingredients together, including the flaxseed mixture, until smooth. Spread evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.

Let cool before cutting.

PS: As the brownies cool any remaining aroma of carrot will disappear.
                        Last edited by Antiochia; 04-08-2013, 07:39 PM.
                        Ruth

Comment

I won't be able to post much for the rest of the week -- my daughter and grandkids are visiting. At the moment, I'm making a big pot of soaked oatmeal (post #42) for everyone. I also mixed up a batch of my "Cereal Milk:"

CEREAL MILK
                          1 14-oz. can coconut milk (not lite)
                          1 can Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk (measure with the coconut milk can)
                          1 tablespoon maple syrup
                          1 teaspoon vanilla

Put all ingredients in a quart size jar -- it will make a little less than a quart -- and shake well.
                          Ruth

Comment

Crazy times! Two of my grandkids got the stomach flu (including one child who also swallowed a penny!). My daughter returned home in the lull between one kid being sick and the next kid getting it. Now to put the house back in order and get life back to normal. Sigh!

Anyway -- here is another recipe using buckwheat -- in some ways similar to my Buckwheat pancake recipe that is one of my staples during Lent. This muffin recipe looks interesting -- I haven't tried it yet. I found it at:
                            Banana Buckwheat Muffins (Gluten-free, processed sugar-free, vegan): Detox recipe 13 of 21 | Find Your Balance

BANANA BUCKWHEAT MUFFINS

1 cup buckwheat flour
                            1 Tbl. baking powder
                            1 tsp. cinnamon
                            1/4 tsp. ginger
                            1 Tbl. extra virgin coconut oil
                            2 very ripe bananas, mashed
                            1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine bananas, coconut oil, and vanilla.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined. The batter will be fairly thick at this point. Add water until the batter loosens up a bit. It will still be a thick batter, but it should be able to be stirred.

Grease muffin tins or use muffin cups. Use an ice cream scooper to scoop batter into muffin tins. Fill tins about 3/4 full. The muffins will be on the smaller side. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
                            Ruth

Comment

Here is what we had for dinner tonight:

BROCCOLI SLAW STIR FRY

1 tablespoon grated ginger root
                              1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
                              1/4 cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
                              1 tablespoon frozen apple juice concentrate *
                              1 tablespoon coconut oil
                              1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
                              2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
                              1 onion sliced into strips (about 1 cup)
                              1 16-oz. bag of broccoli slaw
                              8 oz. mushrooms, cleaned and sliced or cut in chunks (I used Baby Bellas)
                              1 6-oz. bag of baby spinach
                              Noodle or rice alternative to serve the stir fry over (your choice)
                              Slices of fresh pineapple to serve on the side (optional)

*(Note: I partially thaw a 12-oz. can of frozen apple juice concentrate and put it in a wide mouth pint size canning jar and keep it in the freezer – it doesn’t hurt to re-freeze apple juice concentrate – then when I need some, I just scrape it out with a spoon. If I need apple juice for a recipe, I mix 1 part apple juice concentrate with 3 parts water to equal the amount I need for the recipe.)

In a small bowl mix together the ginger root, garlic powder, aminos (or soy sauce), and apple juice concentrate, and set aside.

In a small skillet, sauté the almonds in melted coconut oil until golden, drain on a plate covered with paper towel and set aside.

In a large skillet or electric frypan, add the toasted sesame oil, and the onions. Saute for a couple minutes then add the bag of broccoli slaw. Sauté and stir until broccoli is just tender, just a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook and stir for another minute. Add the small bowl of sauce mixture and the bag of spinach. Stir well, turn down the heat, and cover and cook until the spinach is wilted.

Serve over the rice or noodle alternative of your choice. Put the cooled almonds in a small bowl and let people spoon some browned almonds over their portion of stir fry. Serves about 4 people.

Note: I think sliced fresh pineapple would go well with this, but I didn't have any. We had avocado halves and lemon juice.

You could serve this over spaghetti squash, or cauliflower rice (post #13). I tried a new product tonight: Black Bean Spaghetti -- it isn't totally primal, but it was very filling: https://www.navanfoods.com/explore-a...bean-spaghetti I bought it at our local food co-op -- they were selling it for about $3.50 for an 8-oz. bag -- I'm surprised to see it more expensive on the internet.

Anyway, I cooked the black bean spaghetti in boiling salted water for 6 minutes, drained it, and added a little toasted sesame oil to the noodles. As I said before, it is very filling. A 2-oz. portion (measured before cooking) has 17 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber and 25 g protein.

Edit 4/17/13 - I used the leftovers in my lunch as a pasta salad for the last couple of days. I mixed the cold stir-fried veggies with the cold black bean noodles and added a little cold pressed sunflower oil (tastes like sunflower seeds!) and a little salt and pepper. It made a very good lunch. I may make this whole recipe to serve as a pasta salad at a potluck sometime!

Edit 7/19/13 - I made this tonight, but we were out of mushrooms, so I sliced a sweet potato in thick slices and cooked it separately in a saucepan with a small amount of coconut oil over medium/low heat. I covered the pot so it would also steam/cook in it's own natural juices. When the sweet potato slices were tender, I took the pot off the heat and then I added the cooked slices to the stir-fry after everything else was cooked. This was for a Friday evening supper. Tomorrow, being Saturday, is not a lenten day, so I will stir fry some chicken and add it to the leftovers.
                              Last edited by Antiochia; 08-14-2013, 10:08 AM.
                              Ruth

Comment

This recipe looks wonderful (I haven't tried it) -- as is, it would be for a wine and oil day, otherwise you would have to make some substitutions:

Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Sauce | REMCooks
                                Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X