Perplexed by seaweed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perplexed by seaweed

I have a strange, fundamental desire to add seaweed to my veggie rotation, but, beyond its ubiquitous presence in sushi, I really have no idea how to prepare it.

So, rather than do the obvious thing (google seaweed recipes), I thought I'd attempt to bypass the massive return of said search and ask you MDA-ers if you have a favorite tip, technique, or idea.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One of my favorite ways to use nori is to wrap it around lox and goat cheese, chill it, then cut it up like sushi. Add a little cucumber to it and it's a little more refreshing.

Other than that, I usually add it to any soup or broth I make. I have a couple of sheets of nori that I cut up with some scissors so I could just toss in however much I want in my soup.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      One of my favorite ways to use nori is to wrap it around lox and goat cheese, chill it, then cut it up like sushi. Add a little cucumber to it and it's a little more refreshing.
      Funny, I've been doing a similar thing: Smoked salmon, cream cheese, wrapped in nori = Jewshi

Mazel tov!
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Love the Jewshi idea. I frequently have smoked salmon or pickled herring for breakfast, and this sounds like a nice twist...

Comment

I call it that too, but I didn't want to offend anyone. LOL
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            I call it that too, but I didn't want to offend anyone. LOL
            Pretty sure it's okay as long as you don't serve it with a side of bacon
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I throw some dried stuff in my nightly mug of bone broth.

Comment

How you prepare it depends on whether you are planning on using fresh (harvested yourself), frozen, dried, or seaweed paper (nori).

Comment

Originally posted by Cole View Post
                  I have a strange, fundamental desire to add seaweed to my veggie rotation, but, beyond its ubiquitous presence in sushi, I really have no idea how to prepare it.

So, rather than do the obvious thing (google seaweed recipes), I thought I'd attempt to bypass the massive return of said search and ask you MDA-ers if you have a favorite tip, technique, or idea.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I add it to salad sometimes. This is a raw vegan recipe I picked up, but don't let that put you off, it's really deliciious.

Soak some dried seaweed in cold water for as long as it says on the packet. Usually about 15 mins.
                  Get some green leaves, chop up a really ripe avocado and massage it into the green leaves for a few minutes with a bit of salt. You an also add a splash of olive oil if you fancy. This will make the leaves semi-wilted, and taste nicer and easier to eat. Add your choice of chopped tomato, capers, olives, spring onion etc. you could also add chopped bacon or cheese or nuts if you like.
                  Drain the seaweed and rinse. Add to salad. Eat and enjoy.

This travels well so can be prepared before work and then had as a packed lunch.
                  My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

I adore the seaweed salads they serve at the Japanese restaurants, and I like seaweed in my Miso soup, but yeah- outside of Japanese food, I have no idea where to use seaweed.
                    High Weight: 225
                    Weight at start of Primal: 189
                    Current Weight: 174
                    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

Easy 3 steps: 1. open the box, 2. take the seaweed with your fingers, 3. put it in your mouth. My daughter loves this recipe.

Comment

I am no seaweed scientist, but here is what we use:

Nori, unseasoned, comes in sheets and gets wrapped around stuff.
                        Nori, seasoned (salt, oil, smoked, sometimes chili), comes both in sheets and chopped, eat out of hand or crumble/sprinkle on anything imaginable.
                        Wakame, comes in long darkest green tangles or chopped (I like buying it chopped), gets dropped in brothy soups (or just broth - a fave here), but be warned that it unfurls to a size quite larger than its dried-up bitty original self
                        Back before Primal, I used to put a strip of kombu in bean soups - they soften better, the kombu dissolves completely

I recommend just going to a small Asian grocery, make friends with the owner, and just start asking questions and reading the ID label and trying stuff out. You will find favorites very quickly. Somewhere on the bag you should be able to find the English words that identify the type - nori, wakame, laver, kombu, etc. If all that fails, just go to a Japanese sushi restaurant and get an order of the seaweed salad - OMG, I could eat a barrel of that stuff! We have an Asian grocery that I discovered makes an awesome seaweed salad as well, so now I can get my fix from their fridge case instead of going out to dinner.

My bestest tip - once you have found a favorite sea vegetable, SAVE THE PACKAGE for your next shopping trip. Makes getting the same thing next time MUCH easier if you can show the shop owner what you originally got.
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Excellent advice. Thanks!

Comment

Soup/broth ... lots of seaweed, chilli, ginger, garlic, lime juice ... and scallops, crab, chicken, and, my favourite: slices of raw fillet steak and let the hot broth just cook it.
                            Paul
                            http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                            http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Sprinkle on salads or into seafood soups. Do not give to men, they don't seem to appreciate it.
                              --
                              Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                              I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Working...
                              X