this morning for breakfast..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this morning for breakfast..

I prepared a dish I haven't had since childhood.

Two pans: In 1st saute chopped up bacon. In 2nd poach fish (either whole, cleaned or fillets) in lightly salted water.
    When fish is done, remove to a platter and pour the bacon & grease over the top.

So delicious! Most people are horrified by the fat but I knew you guys wouldn't be. Hadn't thought of this in years. Apparently my childhood (on an island) was fairly primal.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

My childhood breakfast choices were chocolate pop-tarts or frozen waffles. Then again, nobody ever told me life was fair.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

While I dislike getting older, I count myself lucky to have been born into a pre-Poptart world. Good thing you discovered real food on your own!
      Far healthier!

Comment

That sounds so delicious!

My breakfasts as a child were:

Chocolate milk with an egg blended in it because I hated eggs, and my mom thought I should eat some.
        Scrambled eggs when I grew out of hating eggs and grew to love them. Weekends would be bacon and fried eggs (sometimes SPAM).
        Instant Breakfast when I stopped liking food in the morning and my mom refused to let me go to school on an empty stomach.

But no fish and bacon. I feel deprived.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

As a child, my breakfasts were vegan. Yeah...
          At least I survived.
          --
          Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
          I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

You can fry the fish in the baconfat, too.

Comment

Fish and bacon? THAT might be a way to get me to eat fish....

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                You can fry the fish in the baconfat, too.
                You know, my husband suggested that next time we take the poached fish off the bone and add it to the pan of chopped bacon & fat. Also a bit of the poaching liquid mixing with the fat makes a nice sauce.

I'm so sorry that some of you were fed Pop-tarts and those nasty frozen waffles!
                Far healthier!

Comment

We had cereal during the week, but my mother used to fix breakfast on the weekends. She made unbelievable cinnamon toast, eggs scrambled with bacon, cheddar cheese, and crumbled rosemary. My father made jelly omelets, the only thing he ever cooked. We ate it but thought that was kind of weird.

Comment

My childhood breakfasts were all healthywholegrain cereals like Kashi or shredded wheat with non fat milk. Is it any wonder I was always sneaking butter snacks?

That fish sounds awesome. I have been eating canned fish a lot lately as a mid morning snack.

Comment

Fish and bacon....mmmmm.... a mighty combination!

This is a great recipe for combining the two and is real comfort food. You can leave out the potatoes for primalness!

Nigel Slater's Nordic recipes | Life and style | The Observer

Yum! Might have to make this again soon......

Comment

My mom used to keep a mug of bacon fat in the fridge to fry everything with! But we still had cereal for breakfast as children.

Today I had primal banana pancakes-may have to lay off these for a while..delicious but too high in sugar for me.

Comment

Fish and bacon sounds fantastic ... I'll work this idea in for breakfast some time.

My childhood breakfast was porridge. Just porridge and only porridge ... only ever porridge.

Now, I tend not to "breakfast", preferring a shell/fish salad around noon. Weekends, I'll have a late breakfast around 10 or 11 AM in place of lunch. I like fish - smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, fish fillet with a poached egg, seaside greens, kippers, that sort of thing.
                          Paul
                          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

My favourite childhood breakfasts were what my Mum called "bubble and squeak", basically she would beat an egg, add leftover veges and fry it all up (probably in dripping or butter, now I know it's all primal).

Or mince on toast.

I'm pretty sure we didn't breakfast like this every day, since I also have many memories of porridge, weetbix and burnt toast. Actually I kind of liked that.
                            Annie Ups the Ante
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Froot Loops, Sugar Frosties, Coco Pops, or plain rice bubbles or Wheat Bix if we were broke. Porridge occasionally in winter with lots of golden syrup and the cream off the top of the milk. Yum.

Bacon and eggs were a treat, but only accompanied by lots of toast (to make the expensive bacon go further).

Nowdays it's eggs by themselves or with bacon/meat and/or veg, and cooked with fat. How times change.

Don't think I am up for fish for brekky though....

Comment

Working...
                              X