Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK to use bacon fat in this goulash recipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK to use bacon fat in this goulash recipe?

I'm going to try making this tonight:
    Rich and Hearty Hungarian Goulash | Mark's Daily Apple

It calls for 1/4 cup of fat. I have butter, olive oil and coconut oil but no lard or tallow. I am making bacon this morning though and could use that. WHat do you think? Thanks!

Go for it. My understanding is that the national cooking fat in Hungary is goose grease anyway.

Comment

You even need to ASK???? it's awesome....

Comment

OK, for perhaps another stupid question. Should I be draining the pot of the fluid (mostly water I think) that is a result of browning the meat? I usually would so as not to boil the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
          Go for it. My understanding is that the national cooking fat in Hungary is goose grease anyway.
          I suddenly want to go to Hungary...
          *goosefat-drool*

Although, I do have duck and duck fat in my own fridge right now.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Actually, pork fat is more common in Hungarian cooking than goose. Bacon fat would be perfectly appropriate. It's what I use for all Hungarian dishes. Mark's recipe actually looks pretty authentic, but I would kick it up a notch by crumbling the bacon back into the soup at the end. Also, and this is VERY important - take the pot off the heat before adding the paprika, because paprika burns easily. So, add the paprika and then the stock, then put it back on the heat. I would also add the garlic during the last 5 minutes of cooking as well. Jo etvagyat!

Comment

This is the 2nd MDA meal I made in 2 weeks that came out perfect. Just curious about dumping the meat juices out.

Comment

Working...
              X