Instant mashed potatoes as filler in meatloaf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant mashed potatoes as filler in meatloaf

Could dry, instant mashed potatoes or flakes be use like the "breading" in meatloaf?

i don't see why not :-?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
      i don't see why not :-?
      Thanks, I'll take that as permission.

Comment

You could also try using potato flour, or tapioca starch I use Bob's Red Mill

Comment

Another option is oven roasted pumpkin or squash makes an excellent filler for meatloaf, burgers, and the like...it's delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
            Another option is oven roasted pumpkin or squash makes an excellent filler for meatloaf, burgers, and the like...it's delicious!
            I'm getting interested is resistant starches, that's why I was considering dehydrated, instant mashed potatoes. Is pumpkin or squash a resistant starch too?

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy View Post
              You could also try using potato flour, or tapioca starch I use Bob's Red Mill
              That would be quite convenient and our local grocery carries Bob's Red Mill.

Comment

I'd read the labels carefully - this is one of the best UK brands and there is still stuff in there which isn't potato

Ocado: Smash Instant Mashed Potato (Product Information)

Personally, I'd peel a few potatoes, boo them then push them through my potato ricer and use that as a filler.

Comment

Breadsauce, I agree but I've been having some difficulties cooking lately and I've had to make some compromises. I would also expect that boiling whole potatoes would be a lot cheaper.

Comment

I've never used tapioca powder--or even pearls--but that sounds awesome. Cassava is one of my favorite carb sources; its carb texture is absolutely amazing, especially in stews.

Comment

Originally posted by neowild View Post
                      I've never used tapioca powder--or even pearls--but that sounds awesome. Cassava is one of my favorite carb sources; its carb texture is absolutely amazing, especially in stews.
                      It makes an awesome cheese "bread" too!

Easy Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pćo de Queijo) Recipe | Simply Recipes

Comment

I don't find the need for a filler in my meatloaf. Ground beef, ground prok, onion, and some spices.

Comment

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                          I don't find the need for a filler in my meatloaf. Ground beef, ground prok, onion, and some spices.
                          Yeah, that. Meat loaf traditionally had filler to stretch the meat, not because it was necessary.
                          ~Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Rosegin View Post
                            Yeah, that. Meat loaf traditionally had filler to stretch the meat, not because it was necessary.
                            Not about stretching but to create that "bready" texture my mom's had . . . without the bread.

Comment

Begs the question as a Whole Food preparer: Why would I purchase 'flakes' from a company, that comes in a box with a bar code and add that to my perfectly good, grass feed meatloaf? What exactly is in that box? Can anyone confirm or deny the contents of that box? Why eat something as fake as dried potato dust?
                              ----------------------------------------
                              F, 48, 5'10"
                              Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                              Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Working...
                              X