No announcement yet.

Instant mashed potatoes as filler in meatloaf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use grated parmesan and chopped mushrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
      Begs the question as a Whole Food preparer: Why would I purchase 'flakes' from a company, that comes in a box with a bar code and add that to my perfectly good, grass feed meatloaf? What exactly is in that box? Can anyone confirm or deny the contents of that box? Why eat something as fake as dried potato dust?
      Promise not to add the bar code or box to the meatloaf. My meatloaf being humble since I can't afford grass fed, I have no idea whether the "dried potato dust" was made from fake or genuine potatoes. Elsewhere in this thread I give sufficient reason why I need to take shortcuts. If I could boil some potatoes, I would.
      Last edited by Rosemary 231; 02-03-2013, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I've used it as "filler" for my meatza crusts. Helps shrinkage and in our case, you couldn't really taste it. Much cheaper than almond flour. I only need about 2 TBL's per pound if I use it
        FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Comment

I use potato flour as my thickener for anything needing thickening - most of those dishes use potatoes anyway so it seems like a natural fit. I also use it to thicken meat gravies - I brown ground beef and onions in beef tallow, then sprinkle a few tablespoons of potato flour and blend well, then add hot bone broth and bring to a boil on high heat. Let it bubble for a bit to thicken, then add cream to finish it. Don't see why that wouldn't work for meatloaf. I'm not a fan of potato flakes and a bag of Bob Mills potato flour lasts a long time so the cost doesn't concern me much.
          Last edited by Zanna; 02-02-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

what's the difference between potato flour and potato flakes? they're both dehydrated and processed
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
              what's the difference between potato flour and potato flakes? they're both dehydrated and processed
              Logic.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

There probably isn't much difference - I guess I am just a sucker for anything that says organic, lol. I like the potato flour for the silkiness of the sauce - it is better than regular flour for texture. She may do better with potato flakes to mimic the texture of bread in a meatloaf.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                  Hungry Jack Potato Flakes
                  Ingredients: Potato(es) Flakes, Sodium Bisulfite, Citric Acid, BHA, Monoglyceride, Cottonseed Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Sodium Acid Phosphate, Butter Oil

Bob's Red Mill Potato Flour
                  Ingredients: 100% dehydrated Potatoes

This

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy View Post
                    Hungry Jack Potato Flakes
                    Ingredients: Potato(es) Flakes, Sodium Bisulfite, Citric Acid, BHA, Monoglyceride, Cottonseed Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Sodium Acid Phosphate, Butter Oil

Bob's Red Mill Potato Flour
                    Ingredients: 100% dehydrated Potatoes

This
                    Not all potato flakes are created equal either obviously...
                    Such as these.
                    Organic Instant Potato Flakes - 6 x 12 Oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
                    Ingredients: Organic Potatoes (mono and diglycerides from organic palm oil).

And, yes... organic potato flakes are available in my regular grocery store.
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                      Not all potato flakes are created equal either obviously...
                      Such as these.
                      Organic Instant Potato Flakes - 6 x 12 Oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
                      Ingredients: Organic Potatoes (mono and diglycerides from organic palm oil).

And, yes... organic potato flakes are available in my regular grocery store.
                      I stand corrected, never heard of organic potato flakes until just now

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy View Post
                        I stand corrected, never heard of organic potato flakes until just now
                        Nor had I. I'd still prefer to buy whole organic potatoes though!

Comment

I keep this Edward & Sons Organic Mashed Potatoes, Home Style, 3.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food in my pantry to use a little when something needs thickening.
                          Also, DH absolutely loves it and says, thank u so much for making me these delicious mashed potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                          X