No announcement yet.

Meatloaf full of chopped vegetables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could anyone suggest what an internal temp. and oven temp. should be for a 1 1/2 meatloaf? I keep thinking 1/2 a chub of pork sausage is in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
      I am a meatloaf purist - no veggies in there. Here are my ratios:
      2 parts of ground beef
      1 part pork sausage of your choice, I use plain salt/pepper
      1 egg for every pound of meat you have

Season thoroughly with stuff of your choice. House favorite here is Spike classic, the stuff in the red box.
      Smash until thoroughly combined - it will be a little loose.

Add around 1 really heaping Tbsp of coconut flour for each pound of meat mash and thoroughly recombine.

Form into loaf/loaves. Wrap thoroughly with bacon, tucking the ends of the strips under the loaf. Then paint the bacon liberally with your fave clean ketchup or cocktail sauce. Bake at 350 on a roasting pan, not in a loaf pan, until you see fat runoff, then go a little more. Let rest after removing from the oven. Slice and eat.

We only slice the slices off the loaf as we need them, otherwise too much moisture is lost. If you have leftovers you can fry the slices in tallow or bacon grease to rewarm - they are even better next day that way.
      I like my meatloaf "just meatloaf" too but I'm trying to put together something I can warm up at work quickly.

Comment

A trick I learned from a gyro meatloaf recipe is to puree onions in a food processor and then squeeze out the excess moisture with paper towels. That would probably work with the rest of your veggies if you wanted to go that route. Also, to make the dense gyro texture (if that's what you want--you can shave it thinly and then fry crispy in a pan, mmm) run the meat/onion mixture through the food processor until it's tacky, and then press it into a loaf pan as tightly as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by meeshar View Post
          A trick I learned from a gyro meatloaf recipe is to puree onions in a food processor and then squeeze out the excess moisture with paper towels.
          I have noticed with my food processor that onions give off a lot of moisture and can get mushy, squeezing out the excess moisture with paper towels would help the wetness problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
            I sort of wondered if I needed to saute the vegetables a bit before adding to the mix. It would guarantee everything is cooked when it's finished. I'll have to use my Ninja my food processor is still in storage. Hope it will work as well. Thanks
            Mainly I do it to cook the onions. I cant eat them raw, and sometimes in meatloaf they end up undercooked.
            Sandra
            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
              Mainly I do it to cook the onions. I cant eat them raw, and sometimes in meatloaf they end up undercooked.
              Same here, I can't eat raw onions so I always sweat them before running them through the food processor. Forgot to mention that!

Comment

I'm trying a new recipe tonight that has beef, onion, spices, egg and almond meal. Will keep you posted on how it turns out!

Comment

I often chop onion, zucchini and mushrooms (preferably cremini or portabella) in the food processor, saute in butter, and add to the meat mixture when cool, along with egg(s) and seasonings. The onion and zucchini keep the meat moist, and the mushrooms give a nice earthy/meaty taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                    Could anyone suggest what an internal temp. and oven temp. should be for a 1 1/2 meatloaf? I keep thinking 1/2 a chub of pork sausage is in it.
                    I would cook to 150, then let it sit covered for 10 min. It will get to 160. Unless you like your pork cooked more.
                    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
                    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by Zen11 View Post
                      I often chop onion, zucchini and mushrooms (preferably cremini or portabella) in the food processor, saute in butter, and add to the meat mixture when cool, along with egg(s) and seasonings. The onion and zucchini keep the meat moist, and the mushrooms give a nice earthy/meaty taste.
                      Mushrooms are an absolute "must" for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JennGlob View Post
                        I would cook to 150, then let it sit covered for 10 min. It will get to 160. Unless you like your pork cooked more.
                        About 350 degrees or is that too high?

Comment

Cooking at 350 should be fine.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                            Cooking at 350 should be fine.
                            Thanks

Comment

I use coconut flour in my meatloaf like Crabbycakes does. I think I use a little more than she does though because I usually don't have a lot of grease/juice run out of the cooked loaf.
                              I guess I like how the flour absorbs it all and makes the loaf more tender.
                              Great!....Now I'm hungry for a meatloaf sandwich.
                              Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
                                I use coconut flour in my meatloaf like Crabbycakes does. I think I use a little more than she does though because I usually don't have a lot of grease/juice run out of the cooked loaf.
                                I guess I like how the flour absorbs it all and makes the loaf more tender.
                                Great!....Now I'm hungry for a meatloaf sandwich.
                                Go to comfort food . . . a meatloaf sandwich (with mayonise and ketchup)

Comment

Working...
                                X