a 5 gallon bucket of lard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a 5 gallon bucket of lard

I picked up my half (pastured) hog last weekend and insisted that they save the fat for me! Instead of having to render it myself, I was presented with a 5 gallon bucket of lard. Holy smokes...that is nearly 40 POUNDS of fat. i've been trying to partition it into glass quart-sized mason jars and freezing. What do you do with a lionshare of lard? I think I need to learn the art of soapmaking on the side? With bacon fat and coconut oil, I have no idea how long it will take to eat through that much fat. I only have a few friends that are lard-happy, like myself, and can donate extra to!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Share it around to the rest of us
    LOL.
    I don't know exactly, but I guess freezing some would work.

Comment

Try to eat it it by spoonful six times a day, and make some primal "lard-coffee" as well, and inform us how long time it lasted!
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I've made some GF lard-cakes in the past that are FAR superior to any lard-less cake. Cakes are my downfall though and I cannot make them and keep them in the house.

Comment

Will birds eat it?
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

The suet cakes you see in home improvement stores etc are basically just seeds mixed with fat and formed in to whatever shape you want, so yes birds will eat lard. The lard will keep for a long time if it is sealed and kept in a cool dark environment. It can go rancid if left exposed to air and warm temps.

Comment

great idea on the suet!

Comment

My Mom used to always tell me that when she was a little girl during the Depression she would take a lard sandwich to school for lunch in the winter. She went to a one room country school. She said it was made of home made bread, lard and a big slice of onion. Til the day she died she always told the story with a BIG SMILE on her face. She said they were the best sandwiches she ever ate! (I was always perfectly willing to just take her at her word!)

Mix some with a health dose of bird seed, form it into cakes, insert a piece of wire and freeze it. Hang the cakes a tree and you'll be the quite popular with all of the local birdies.
                All Men Die.......But Not All Men Live

Comment

Freeze it. At this point, the Family Crabbcakes goes through a 4-lb tub between three and four weeks. And that is in addition to all the olive oil, butter, and tallow we use (a family of 6). So my suggestion is to freeze it and eat it yourself - I would kill to get my hands on pastured pork lard! It will be safe in the freezer.
                  I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Ohmygosh, solstice - I just looked at your location. If you can get to Pittsburgh easily, I will buy some of that off of you! Pitt takes just under two hours for me, and we sometimes go just for date night or museum visits with the kiddos. If this sounds like anything interesting, PM me.
                    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

oooh lard sandwiches...I bet the bread was tasty! I just dropped off two quarts with a friend---she was pretty excited! I have MOST of it frozen in canning jars right now. I agree that we likely go through a lot of fat----but bacon grease usually makes up a lot of it. I roasted some veggies this past week in the pastured lard and they were heavenly!

Crabbcakes---we're at least 3 hours from Pittsburgh. I know hubby wants to take the boys to a ballgame this summer...but that is a ways away. We don't have any other reason to go that direction currently but I'll keep you in mind!

Comment

Sounds like you might be closer to my neck of the woods... Who did you get the lard from? Curious as to how much you paid...

Comment

I think the solution to this is to buy 400 lbs of chicken wings, 40 sticks of butter and 40 gallon sized jugs of hot sauce. I'll be over at 6pm with a truckload of carrots and celery.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I got half a hog from Forks Farm in Forks, PA. The hanging weight was 100 lbs and set me back 490 smacks...dont know the cost of the lard...most people dont even want it though. Website here:
                            Forks Farm Market - local farmers market and pastured foods in northeastern Pennsylvania

Also there is a place in Sunbury, PA, which is probably an hour from you Finn---but they are sold out of spring hogs...could get on a wait list for the fall possibly. Website here:
                            Owens Farm

Comment

Take a bath in it!

Grease yourself up and swim the Atlantic?
                              Paul
                              http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                              http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Working...
                              X