Red Palm Oil- Need a starter recipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Palm Oil- Need a starter recipe

I just bought some red palm oil. I have read that it has a very strong flavor, so I am wondering what would be a good recipe to try it with the first time. Should I go with a mild food, so I can experience the wonder that is red palm oil, or something more assertive, so I can slowly get used to it.

Suggestions?

All that I cd. add is that I like to saute greens in it.

Comment

Why not google West African recipes?
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Palm-Oil Chop - The Congo Cookbook (African recipes) www.congocookbook.com -
        Last edited by Terry H; 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I don't think it's all that bad/strong. It tastes sorta like spicy carrots (on its own) to me.
          I just add some to the top of my steak and let it melt. I don't even taste it.

I do like that Congo Cookbook, thanks for posting that.
          People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

I don't really care for the taste of red palm oil. Plus, isn't that the stuff that is causing all the loss of orangutan habitat leading to loss in numbers - or am I mixing that up with something else?
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
              I don't really care for the taste of red palm oil. Plus, isn't that the stuff that is causing all the loss of orangutan habitat leading to loss in numbers - or am I mixing that up with something else?
              Yes, you're completely wrong
              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post

Orangutans are found in Indonesia on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo. The red palm oil in my locale is from Ghana. If there is an ethical problem for some simply source it from elsewhere.

Comment

me too, i will do it,I just add some to the top of my steak and let it melt. I don't even taste it. thank you

Comment

Mark did a post recently recommending the red palm oil from Africa, mainly because of the orangutan issue. The brand he recommended was Omni and it's sold on Amazon. I may get around to buying some eventually.
                    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

I didnt care for the red palm oil, personally, and neither did my digestion---weird perhaps? Maybe I needed to give it more time...
                      Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                      http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Comment

I'd make up a thick tomato soup based on shito (dried shrimp and chilli paste) and drop a fish into it - something like tilapia or cod would be good. Some shredded greens, also.
                          Paul
                          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

I've been frying up my pastured eggs in it, adding himalayan sea salt & turmeric (yeah!, let's communalize all our yellow-orange super foods in 1 dish!). I also stir-fry veggies, leafy greens in particular in it. I have loads of coconut oil & use it but I also try to mix red palm oil into my dishes for variety when I think of it... I buy mine @ a local Indian Grocer, where it's cheap & from Ghana, so it's a win-win-win for all.
                            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Yikes! ** Palm Oil: maybe not such a good idea after all

Can palm oil cause inflammation?
                              ------------------------------------------------------------
                              Palm Oil: maybe not such a good idea after all
                              Human Food Project - Anthropology of microbes

** Palm Oil: maybe not such a good idea after all
                              ------------------------------------------------------------
                              There are two things that you can be certain of when it comes to palm oil: 1) business is booming and 2) orangutans hate palm oil (if they could speak to us, I’m confident that’s what they would say). We can now add another certainty to that: palm oil causes low-grade inflammation that is linked to insulin resistance, obesity and other metabolic diseases that are partially mediated by our resident gut microbes..

See how palm oil stacked up against rapeseed oil, milk fat, and sunflower oil for triggering inflammation READ MORE (Palm Oil: maybe not such a good idea after all - Human Food Project)
                              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X