RE: Crispy Carnitas .... OMG !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Crispy Carnitas .... OMG !!!

Yesterday my home was filled with the most tantalizing aroma ... I used the recipe that was recently posted in Mark's blog for Crispy Carnitas. It is so fracking amazing ! I'm still rather blown away by the fact that I have never eaten Carnitas. I grew up in a small Texas town where the primary foods are either barbecue or Mexican. Living in Santa Fe, NM for close to five years, one would assume I would have eaten it there too, but no. Not one single time .... until now.
    I've grown up eating what I hunted myself, from venison to javelina, with the random small game thrown in here and there, along with interesting and tasty tidbits of barbecued marrow-gut, cabrito, even mountain oysters. SO ... HOW did I miss out on the Carnitas ?
    Last night's dinner was sublime, genuine mouth watering bliss .... the meat literally fell apart, and the natural fat kept it moist and so rich tasting.
    I made "tacos" with large leaves of romaine, piled high with the meat, and finished off with finely chopped sweet onion and a liberal squeeze of fresh lime juice. It was so wonderful, I ate the same thing this morning !

This morning I checked the ads for the local grocery store and now I even happier ... the pork shoulder/butt price is at $1.00 per pound ! OMG ... going to the store later for more ! (hhhmnnn ... and more romaine and fresh limes too !) I would be jumping up and down if it was pastured pork, but nonetheless, I am thrilled !

THANK YOU MARK for an amazing recipe !
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

That would be this recipe: Crispy Carnitas | Mark's Daily Apple
    carl's cave

Comment

Don't forget cilantro! Love carnitas with a squeeze of lime and lotssss of fresh cilantro.
      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        Don't forget cilantro! Love carnitas with a squeeze of lime and lotssss of fresh cilantro.
        YES! That is exactly what I was going to say.

Comment

OMG you just made me so hungry! I've been wanting to make that carnita recipe for ages, but our grocer has been out of pork butt for a while and its $15 a kg at our butchers, which makes it a big expensive. Might have to get some anyway. Soooo good!
          The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Comment

I love crispy carnitas so much too! Lime, cumin, cilantro, garlic....there is no limit to the ways to jazz it up
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Yes Carl ... that's the one !

Comment

I did this earlier in the week - so great that it lasts so long!

Comment

It is surprising that you come from both of those places and hadn't had carnitas... but I can resonate to an extent. I just started eating pork this past year when I lived in south america. I had no idea it was SO good.
                  So last week I decided to learn how to cook it (I am quite a good cook in most other categories but pork is definitely not a meat I'm familiar cooking with). These carnitas are amazing. Instead of doing it in the oven I put the pork booty in a slow cooker for a few hours and then shredded the meat and broiled it into crispy, fat caramelized goodness. I added some extra spices as well because I'm a spice feind. YUM.
                  (Also, impressive that you have always hunted yourself. Very cool!)

Comment

Originally posted by canotryss
                    think so,Don't forget cilantro! Love carnitas with a squeeze of lime and lotssss of fresh cilantro.
                    Love cilantro too - though it is coriander here in UK. Doesn't stop it being awesome though!!

Comment

New here, hello everyone!

What would be the macro-nutrient breakdown for such a dish? Any brainstorming thoughts?
                      (with the given ingredients quantities express in the recipe )
                      "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
                      Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
                      Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
                      Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)

Comment

Wow, that looks fantastic! I wish I'd found that recipe before I made crock pot carnitas last night. Mine were good, but THAT looks heavenly.

Sadly, I am one of those people who don't like cilantro. So I sub flat leaf or regular parsley or skip it altogether.
                        Sandra
                        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

I picked up more pork butt this week, planning to make another batch in a week or so .... it's just sooooo good !

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post

Sadly, I am one of those people who don't like cilantro. So I sub flat leaf or regular parsley or skip it altogether.
                            Yep. Me too. Cilantro and arugula. Yuck!
                            I'm soo making the crispy carnitas tomorrow.

Comment

I highly recommend avocado, salsa, and sour cream (if you're a dairy-doer) with the carnitas. Although it is so good it might actually make you crazy!
                              My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Working...
                              X