organ meats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• organ meats

I would like to incorporate organ meats into my diet but somehow struggle to do so.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to let's say put minced liver into burgers? Would that conceal the strong taste of liver a bit? Any ideas?

Thanks

M

When I was a kid the best thing to conceal the flavor of liver was ketchup- lol.

Maybe you could try starting out with "lighter" organ meats (when it comes to flavor.) Two of my favorites are heart and tongue. They're not quite as iron-y tasting as liver or kidney. I've also learned that due to texture, I prefer beef kidney over lamb or calf liver. Unfortunately there are only 2 ways I've found to make liver. With onions and bacon, or coated in cornmeal. Both ways it still tastes like liver.

Comment

minced liver patties are sooo yummy: i usually eat them with lingonberries and horseraddish paste

challenge yourself
      i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

I *heart* brain. Cooked brain has the texture of scrambled eggs and the taste of ghee. YUM!

Where do you get organ meats? I haven't found them in the grocery store (I know, I know I should be going to a farm - hopefully soon).

Comment

I have not braved the organ meat route yet,but I am determined to do so in the near future. Thanks so much for the advice everyone.

Mx

Comment

Maranne-- I'm taking raw liver capsules by Carlson Labs.

Comment

I just got some buffalo kidneys & want to try making some sort of steak & kidney pie with them. any suggestions?? I'm thinking some sort of red wine sauce (with mushrooms & onions, of course). Instead of crust on top maybe mashed turnips & carrots? Unless someone has a crust idea...

Comment

How about Mashed Cauliflower?

Comment

I tried disguising chicken livers in a stew - unsuccessfully! Yuck!

I will try kidney when *someone else* has e.g. a steak and kidney pie and I pinch a bit.

I've not tried brain - the whole BSE thing put paid to that! I'm not even sure what is legal to sell in the UK?

Has anyone tried "sweetbreads"? I *think* they're the adrenal glands. But I used to think the term referred to (yum yum...) the testicles??

Having said that, I've always like tongue, albeit from the supermarket, sliced and jellied!

Peggy - I think Son of Grok and a few others had a cauliflower based pizza dough - might this adapt to a kind of "pastry" crust?

Comment

I've tried the, erm, sweetbreads. Infact as kids, my sister and I would fight over who'd get it. Thanks to all the propoganda and CW, organ meats were slowly eliminated from our diet!

I once tried chicken livers with brussel sprouts and thought a worse combination couldn't have existed, but it actually tasted quite nice. It was made with lots of Indian spices.

Comment

i remember eating fishbrains in a local small sushiplase in Osaka... got talking with a local couple there and ended up trying everything they suggested- n it was good!

challenge yourself

Comment

maba,

Does cow brain really taste like ghee? Damn. That sounds good. A friend of mine from Australia told me that kids would bring brain sandwiches to school for lunch when he was a kid and he could never stomach it. I, on the other hand would love that! I've always had a jones for organ meats, since I was a kid. My mother used to always deep-fry liver and onions (granted she was breading it and frying it in canola oil... not the way I prepare it today). I always loved chicken hearts, livers and gizzards. I also eat kidneys, hearts and livers of grass-fed cow, pigs, buffalo, goat and lamb. Sweet breads are heaven when grilled.

I must admit though that I despise cow spleen. Maybe I cooked it wrong, but tried to sautee it and it became a watery mess. However, the spleen if I recall is a gland and not an organ.

Now I really really wish that brain was available for sale! It should be healthy if from a cow that is 100% pastured and not cannibalizing other cows!

Comment

Hi Rahchics,

I have eaten only goat brain. I must also add that most of the organ meats I've eaten is from goat/sheep or chicken. Beef was rarely made at home, when it was cooked, it was mostly pre-made burgers.

Grilled sweet-breads sound divine! Goat brain has this very creamy, buttery texture (like all brains do I reckon) and yeah, the taste is quite similar to ghee. My mum makes it with lots of onion, ginger, garlic, chilli and coriander powder, topped with finely chopped cilantro.

Comment

oh, maba, that sounds sooo delishious.... unfortunately though ive scoured all possible markets for organ meats n never found brain...

challenge yourself

Comment

seriously, Nobody's mentioned one of my all-time favourites: rumakis (sp??). Chicken livers rapped in bacon. Sometimes with chopped onion &/or water chestnuts stuffed in there too. All skewered on a tooth pick. That was always standard cocktail party fair.

Thanks for the SOG suggestion; he has some good stuff. And I love caulifower.

Brussel sprouts & liver?? sounds like a perfect meal to me! 2 of my favs. Someone around here mentioned roasted sprouts a while back & now I'm addicted to them. Toss in oilve or melted coconut oil & spinkle liberally with garam masala. Roast. Eat. Yum.

Now you've all got me intrigued with brains... I wonder if the buffalo guy will give me some...

Comment

Working...
                              X