Manhattan Style Smoky & Sweet Fish Chowder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manhattan Style Smoky & Sweet Fish Chowder

What I loved about this soup is how flavorful and hearty it was without being "fishy" tasting. For this chowder, instead of clams we are using what is called a 'fish chowder mix' (a white fish mix from your local market) making it wonderful, but much more friendly to the wallet. Our 3.5 lbs of fish cost around $6.00

This sweet and smoky stew takes a bit of time on the stove, but does not demand much of your attention once it is simmering. Go about your evening and revisit the kitchen for a scrumptious dinner.

Recipe here with step by step photos.

FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

A soup after my own heart! I love both the Manhattan and New England styles of fish chowder and your recipe looks so yummy.

I recently made a creamy oyster chowder, letting the potatoes do the thickening. Not as thrifty ($9 for the pound of shucked oysters), but delicious and creamy. It had to be all I ate that day though, because when I tallied it up, the whole batch was 904 calories! Yours looks much healthier, and I think next time, I'll skip the potato and use turnips.

Searching kitchen to see if I can make yours today. Thank you!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      A soup after my own heart! I love both the Manhattan and New England styles of fish chowder and your recipe looks so yummy.

I recently made a creamy oyster chowder, letting the potatoes do the thickening. Not as thrifty ($9 for the pound of shucked oysters), but delicious and creamy. It had to be all I ate that day though, because when I tallied it up, the whole batch was 904 calories! Yours looks much healthier, and I think next time, I'll skip the potato and use turnips.

Searching kitchen to see if I can make yours today. Thank you!
      Thanks Joanie. Yours sounds fabulous too!!! I thought about using potatoes, but after the holidays where I was a bit um...."more free" with those kinds of subs, I thought I better keep it straight this time! LOL. We really enjoyed it. Can't wait to hear your feedback and mods!

Comment

love fish stews and soups so this looks yummy! i sometimes put fennel bulb and grated cheese in mine. bits of seaweed like karengo are nice too.

Comment

Local ordinances do not permit the adding of tomatoes to chowders. LOL.

Comment

That looks ah-mazing and I can't wait to make it!!!!!
            Never argue for your limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Grokalicious View Post
              That looks ah-mazing and I can't wait to make it!!!!!
              Cool! Love to hear what you do to it and how you make it your own! <3

Comment

It turned out well. Used Whitefish and followed your recipe with a touch more cumin and subbed habanero for chipotle. I'll be making this one again!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry H View Post
                  It turned out well. Used Whitefish and followed your recipe with a touch more cumin and subbed habanero for chipotle. I'll be making this one again!
                  awesome! Habanero..I bet that WAS good! Thanks for posting!

Comment

Working...
                  X