Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking Steak In Oven: I need to tell you that

Hello dear PB mates!

Have you ever tried cooking steak in oven? Leave it...have you ever tried cooking ANY MEAT in oven? (that includes chicken)

Was it dry? Like seriously dry?

I always had a similar issue. I still can recall my mom's oven-cooked pork, chicken and beef...they always came out dry. I grew up believing that it was the only way! Then came Heston (Blumenthal) and said that this is all wrong. Loved it! His approach in many things is "low and slow" - something we really forget about during our fast living...sorry for the off-topic.

He basically says that cooking at high temperature makes all the moisture evaporate at very high rate. As moisture evaporates, meat becomes dry and flavorless!

So, what should you do?

Cook at lower temperature for longer time and you will get superior results all the time!

Here is my experimenting. I hope you'll like it!

Try a Tangine to cook your meat in... all day on the hob on low (with a diffuser to keep it even cooler)
    You know its good when you can cut it with a spoon
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I am about to embark on an experiment in sous vide cooking, which is cooking meats in a vacuum sealed bag in a water bath at lower temps, followed by a quick sear on a grill or pan. Based on a first try in a cooler while adding hot water periodically and monitoring closely for 2 hrs, I researched, built and tested a DIY sous vide temp controller and water heater. Will test on meat this weekend. So excited I can hardly stand it.

Comment

DinoHunter, thanks for the hint! Oh, I know this feeling...

OneDeltaTenTango, I am familiar with sous vide: you will get awesome results! I am sure you are aware of it, but be careful with botulism =/

Comment

Salt the steak to taste (I like to butter or drizzle olive oil as well), preheat oven to 350F (convert to C), get an oven safe frying pan really hot, add fat of choice, lay steak in for 1-2 minutes, turn and pop pan in oven for 5 or 10 minutes depending on thickness of cut, remove and LET IT REST, covered for 10 minutes more. Perfect every time. If you don't rest it the juices flow out and the steak will be dry.
          Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Artem, I like your fastidious experiment , I'll have to try your method next time I cook a steak.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Artem View Post
              DinoHunter, thanks for the hint! Oh, I know this feeling...

OneDeltaTenTango, I am familiar with sous vide: you will get awesome results! I am sure you are aware of it, but be careful with botulism =/
              Thanks. Very much aware of the botulism issue and am satisfied with the narrow temp control range I am getting so feel pretty comfortable with it.

Comment

I saw a blog post about cooking whole chickens or large beef roasts in the crock pot, no additional water needed: the trick is to put the meat on top of a bed of chopped onion and cook on low. I believe with this method, the onion supplies enough water content to get it cooking and keep it from burning. I haven't tried this myself yet, but want to. It may also work with a bed of celery, if someone has onion allergies. The crock pot is nice because almost all of the original liquid is kept inside (at least on low heat).
                Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

I bake (not broil) steak at 350 for 8 minutes, then do 2 minutes/side in a frying pan with butter. Usually comes out pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojo View Post
                    I bake (not broil) steak at 350 for 8 minutes, then do 2 minutes/side in a frying pan with butter. Usually comes out pretty nice.
                    Interesting. I always take care of the sides before the baking. Baking is just for thicker steaks (close to 1" or over) or to get beyond medium (Boyfriend doesn't like any variety of rare), or if the steaks weren't at room temp when I started.

I don't usually cook meat over 375F and don't have issues with dryness. Then again, I'm usually baking chicken with the skin on.
                    Depression Lies

Comment

If you can find Alton Brown's method of cooking a steak, which is to basically sear (seer?) it in a cast iron pan and then into a 500F oven for a few minutes, it looked pretty fool proof.

I use a covered clay cooker in the oven for most of the meat I don't cook on the stove or grill. It takes a little longer, but it comes out moist and tender.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I do steak in the oven- on broil. I broil first side until the fat starts to brown, flip it and broil the other side until the fat starts to brown, then turn the oven off and leave the steak in there to finish. I like rare so as far as I'm concerned it's done right then, but my boys like well done so about 5 minutes in the oven with just heat but oven off makes a 1/2" thick steak well done but still juicy.
                        High Weight: 225
                        Weight at start of Primal: 189
                        Current Weight: 174
                        Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I just wave my steak in the general direction of the flames... Never had a dry one yet (yeah, I like mine rare)
                          Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I cook all kinds of meat in the oven. Bake at 475 for 20 25 min, then reduce heat to 350 for about an hour. It always comes out tender and juicy.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                              Interesting. I always take care of the sides before the baking.
                              That's usually the recommended method. I tried it that way but found bake-then-grill worked better.

Comment

Working...
                              X