Does your tallow smell horible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your tallow smell horible?

So I got a small fry daddy for Christmas with the idea of rendering some beef tallow and deep frying in it. I stopped by WF and asked for their extra grass feed beef fat and they gave me about 5 lbs free. Cool! So I diced it and and threw it in the crock pot on low to render the beef tallow over night. I woke up this morning and had a whole pot full. Now for the bad part, this stuff smells horrible... It makes me want to puke. Does beef tallow have a strong odor? At this point, there is no way I will cook with this stuff in the house.

It does have a pretty strong smell. I think it smells pretty good, but I can see how it might turn people off.

I think heating it overnight may have been overkill. I follow these instructions when I do it:
    http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

Comment

My son hates the smell of rendering fat so we render outside on the covered porch. We have a hot plate we use or if it's sunny we use our parabolic solar cooker.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

It won't smell bad once you pour it off and use it, normally.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
        X