3 for 1 recipe: Crackers, Flat Bread, Tortillias

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zeera View Post
    Mmm looks tasty! I don't miss crackers or tortillas much but my boyfriend definitely does, might have to try these recipes out tomorrow! Thanks for posting!
    Zeera - you're in Maine? Me too!
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Comment

Originally posted by curlygirl View Post
      Zeera - you're in Maine? Me too!
      Yes I am! And here I was starting to think primal Mainers were few and far between!

Comment

Can potato starch be substituted for potato flour, or are they significantly different grinds?

Comment

Originally posted by Pamsc View Post
          Can potato starch be substituted for potato flour, or are they significantly different grinds?
          I've wondered that myself. I'm not sure. I've always assumed that the starch would be - well - starchier. Great help right?? LOL.

You might be able to look at the carb count on the back of each and see if they are the same. My tendency would be to stick with the flour. Can anyone else shed light on this?

Comment

I used potato starch instead of potato flour when I made the flatbreads, and they came out fine. I didn't have any potato flour on hand, so I figured, "why not?" I haven't made them with potato flour, so I don't know how it might come out different.

I made the flatbreads again (with potato starch), this time as the base for single-serving pizzas!

I will have to get some potato flour to conduct the experiment!

Comment

I have now made the flatbreads with potato flour instead of potato starch. The ones with starch are denser, if that makes sense, although they taste the same. The texture was more bread-like with potato flour. I haven't made crackers yet, but I'm wondering if the crackers would be better with potato starch, while the flatbread is better with potato flour.

I will have to make a batch of crackers, half with potato starch, half with potato flour, and compare!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                I have now made the flatbreads with potato flour instead of potato starch. The ones with starch are denser, if that makes sense, although they taste the same. The texture was more bread-like with potato flour. I haven't made crackers yet, but I'm wondering if the crackers would be better with potato starch, while the flatbread is better with potato flour.

I will have to make a batch of crackers, half with potato starch, half with potato flour, and compare!
                Oh that WOULD be interesting! I wonder if the potato starch would yield the crackers more like melba toast?

Comment

Hi Curlygirl! The link isnt working for me. Is it still available?

Comment

Could someone repost the recipe - the blog link is no good.
                    Thanks!

Comment

I love to see this recipe also...

Originally posted by zerodogma View Post
                      Could someone repost the recipe - the blog link is no good.
                      Thanks!
                      Let's get out there and make this a great day!

Comment

Please, would someone that's made this before the link broke repost the recipe?

Comment

I missed the original post and am interested too. It seems CG hasn't been active since mid-2013 and I take it that her blog has been taken down. She was/is a gem. Perhaps if anyone knows the friends in her profile maybe they wd. have it.

Comment

Here it is!

Crackers
                            Makes 4 "melba toast" sized crackers

1/8 cup coconut flour
                            1/8 cup potato flour
                            1/4 t salt (this WILL make your crackers quite salty. If you don't want them that salty, start with 1/8 tsp)
                            ~1/4 cup water

1. Mix ingredients until you get moist dough. You should be able to shape it into a ball, into a pretzel. It should not be too dry or too runny.

2. Roll out and bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 for 15 minutes. Flip and bake another 15 minutes. If you need to, broil an additional 1-2 minutes to get it totally cracker like and cooked through.

Flat Bread
                            Makes 4-6 slices

1/2 c coconut flour
                            1/2 c potato flour
                            1/2 t salt
                            4 T oil
                            ~1 cup water

1. Mix ingredients until you get moist dough. You should be able to shape it into a ball, into a pretzel. It should not be too dry or too runny.

2. Grease a skillet with oil and heat skillet on low heat. When warm, add bread. Fry on both sides - about 2 min. per side or until each side looks "done".

Tortillas
                            Makes 4-6 tortillas

1. Same as flat bread above, but spray some plastic wrap with oil. Put dough ball between two pieces of greased wrap and roll with rolling pin until large and flat.

2. Follow directions for cooking flat bread.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                              Here it is!

Crackers
                              Makes 4 "melba toast" sized crackers

1/8 cup coconut flour
                              1/8 cup potato flour
                              1/4 t salt (this WILL make your crackers quite salty. If you don't want them that salty, start with 1/8 tsp)
                              ~1/4 cup water

2. Roll out and bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 for 15 minutes. Flip and bake another 15 minutes. If you need to, broil an additional 1-2 minutes to get it totally cracker like and cooked through.

Flat Bread
                              Makes 4-6 slices

1/2 c coconut flour
                              1/2 c potato flour
                              1/2 t salt
                              4 T oil
                              ~1 cup water

2. Grease a skillet with oil and heat skillet on low heat. When warm, add bread. Fry on both sides - about 2 min. per side or until each side looks "done".

Tortillas
                              Makes 4-6 tortillas

1. Same as flat bread above, but spray some plastic wrap with oil. Put dough ball between two pieces of greased wrap and roll with rolling pin until large and flat.

2. Follow directions for cooking flat bread.
                              Thank you so much!

Comment

Thanks Goldie. You're a gem, too. Hope all is well with CG.

Comment

Working...
                                X