X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great with ground beef/veg mixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by Kata View Post
      I'm glad this thread is here because I just made a batch of beef bone stock that turned out to have a weird color. I roasted the bones first and ate the marrow out of half of them, then made stock as usual. I even added a diced skillet steak for extra flavor, but it came out so pale, even lighter than the chicken stock I'd made a few days earlier. Anyone know what's going on?
      My guess is too much water, too few bones. Did it become solid when cold? How does it taste?

Here's a batch I made from beef hocks:
      IMG_0100.jpg

Its light colored but beefy flavored and it turned gelatin-y when cooled.
      http://theprimalgardener.blogspot.co...one-broth.html
      Last edited by Kaylee99; 01-07-2013, 06:59 PM.
      See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

I blogged about beef stew with broth...it's LOVELY!
        Wintry Woodstove Beef Stew the woodsy gal
        Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
        http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylee99 View Post
          My guess is too much water, too few bones. Did it become solid when cold? How does it taste?

Here's a batch I made from beef hocks:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]10398[/ATTACH]

Its light colored but beefy flavored and it turned gelatin-y when cooled.
          The Primal Gardener: How To: Bone Broth
          Thanks for the input! Still waiting on the attachment, but it mine was about the color of the cooled stock in the blog. I don't know if it gelled, since I put it in the freezer before it fully cooled. I'd cooked it for about 30 hours, so I assume it did. I was only concerned because I'd made stock the exact same way before and it came out nice and brown.

Comment

I generally don't worry about the color. If it tastes the way you want (I like mine plain beefy but I know some people add seasonings/veggies for a more beef soup-type flavor) and gelatin-izes then I'd say your are good.

And the attachment should be the pic from the blog. Hmmm...wonder what I did wrong.
            See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Few ideas...

Boil rice, quinoa, spuds, or veggies in it.

Add mushrooms and heavy cream to it and use as a replacement for that nasty Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup.

Make your own ad-hock bullion cubes.

Make Bloody Mary's with bone broth. Simply take half of the tomato juice in each drink and replace with the broth.

Add broth to salad dressings. Trust me, it works!

Make gravy.
              "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

It's a daily dose of awesomeness!

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                  Few ideas...

Boil rice, quinoa, spuds, or veggies in it.

Add mushrooms and heavy cream to it and use as a replacement for that nasty Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup.

Make your own ad-hock bullion cubes.

Make Bloody Mary's with bone broth. Simply take half of the tomato juice in each drink and replace with the broth.

Add broth to salad dressings. Trust me, it works!

Make gravy.
                  Tell me more about bone broth in salad dressing? I have come to love the stuff in soups and gravies, but would like a nice summer alternative!

Comment

Working...
                  X