No announcement yet.

ideas for paleo baby food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby led solids. Best idea ever. No trouble, no crap, no extra expense.

And amazingly, although I wouldn't leave them alone with food anyway, I've never had a child choke in 14 years of feeding babies & toddlers. Gag, yes. But they always get it out by themselves. Amazing, they are! (And even the gagging is rare.)

I had one child who wouldn't swallow a single bite of solid food till he was 12 months old. He'd put some in his mouth around 9 months and chew it, but not swallow. On his first birthday, we made popcorn in the skillet and he ate and swallowed a whole handful! Most of my children have been still using breastmilk as their primary food until they were 18-20 months old. (Mama has to have a solid diet for that to be enough, though.) Amazing boogers, they are.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
      Baby led solids. Best idea ever. No trouble, no crap, no extra expense.

And amazingly, although I wouldn't leave them alone with food anyway, I've never had a child choke in 14 years of feeding babies & toddlers. Gag, yes. But they always get it out by themselves. Amazing, they are! (And even the gagging is rare.)

I had one child who wouldn't swallow a single bite of solid food till he was 12 months old. He'd put some in his mouth around 9 months and chew it, but not swallow. On his first birthday, we made popcorn in the skillet and he ate and swallowed a whole handful! Most of my children have been still using breastmilk as their primary food until they were 18-20 months old. (Mama has to have a solid diet for that to be enough, though.) Amazing boogers, they are.
      My oldest didn't really start *eating* solids until after 12mths of age as well. Breast milk truly is amazing. She was a chunky monkey.
      Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

First let me preface this with the disclaimer that the only things I know about babies are that they smell really good and that holding them is better than reading a good book.

I ran across this recipe while looking for ways to prepare beef heart and thought of this thread. Hope it helps.

Poached Beef Heart Baby Food

2 cups sodium-free beef or chicken stock
        1 pound beef heart, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
        1 clove garlic, sliced
        Pinch of salt (optional)

Over high heat, bring the stock to a boil in a medium saute pan. Add the beef heart and enough cool water to submerge the pieces. Briefly return the liquid to a boil then lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Add the optional garlic; cover the pan with a lid.

Poach on the stove for 30 minutes or until the pieces are completely tender and easily pierced with a knife. Remove the beef heart from the stock, reserving both separately and cooling for 10 minutes.

Add the cooked beef heart, 1/2 cup of stock and a pinch of salt to a large blender or food processor. Carefully blend into a smooth puree, adding more cooled stock as necessary to achieve the desired consistency. If you accidentally overshoot on the stock and the puree becomes watery, add boiled sweet potato, overcooked pasta, or powdered brown rice cereal to thicken it again. (Reserve any remaining stock for soups, stews, or to rehydrate legumes.) And if you desire an even smoother consistency, push the puree through a fine mesh sieve discarding any lumpy solids left behind.

Decant the baby food into a clean bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap. Once cooled to a "baby appropriate" temperature, serve in generous portions to your adventurous eater.

Extra puree can be poured into ice cube trays, covered, and stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.

Source: Beef Heart: An Unexpected Meal That Spans Generations : The Salt : NPR
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Steamed broccoli (soft enough to gum, strong enough to be picked up)
          Steamed or roasted carrots (tender but not too soft)
          Slow cooked meats (so they are tender)
          Steak slices (3-4 inches long, long enough they can pick it up and gnaw on the end. They'll get all the good stuff out and leave the tough fibers behind)
          ribs/chicken legs/other boned food with gristle, most meat, and small bones removed. Munchkin loved getting a chicken leg with that little bit of meat left at the top. She'd gnaw on that till every shred was gone. Same with ribs.
          Fresh fruit (pears, peaches, melon, sliced bananas, non-crunchy types)
          Cooked apples (and other crunchy fruits cooked tender)
          Eggs-scrambled and cheese omelets were (and still are) Munchkin's fav
          Meat sauce (spaghetti with ground beef) over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash (be prepared for a HUGE mess)
          Cheese slices (if you do dairy)

We did baby-led weaning starting at around 8 months when Munchkin started swiping stuff from our plates. She started with steamed broccoli and quickly moved to steak slices. I never cooked a special meal for her, she ate whatever we ate plus nursing. She loved sitting at the table with us and never had any issues (except for the time she tried to shove all her carrots in her mouth at once-that was interesting).
          See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

i have an 8 month old, we breastfeed through the day, and do foods for dinner.
            we do a lot of sweeter veggies because breastmilk is quite sweet, so it is a little easier for baby to recognize as edible.
            also they get constipated easily, so i do meat, but only fatty meats high in iron, and only once a week or so.
            we do all home made purees, thinned with breastmilk or stock.

avocado (perfect for "first food")
            roasted and mashy sweet potatoes
            steamed and pureed carrots
            steamed and pureed spinach
            steamed and pureed peaches
            steamed and pureed apples (only if she hasn't been constipated recently)
            mashy bananas
            cooked chuck, pureed
            roasted squash or pumpkin, pureed
            apricots stewed, pureed (i add this to lots of her foods to loosen the doo-doos)
            steamed and pureed broccoli

the possibilities are endless.
            same with seasoning... powdered garlic, cinnamon, ginger, little chili powder..

at times we just hand her whatever we are eating, but we salt heavily in our house so many times our foods aren't suitable for juniper.

Comment

Baby Led Weaning all the way!

Comment

I remember my sister giving my nephew Avocado puree as his first food. He loved eating it with honey. The entire recipe of this puree is present on an online toy store in India, simply visit the blogBaby's First Food : Avocado Puree / Toys And Games Blog | Giraffe Theories Even I feel the best food for the baby is should be the mashed ones. It becomes easy for them to chew.

Comment

My parents bought a food processor and blended anything we ate into small pieces for my baby brother and sister (they are much younger than I am). I think that's a rational approach. I would do carbs first as they are easier on the stomach though...
                  ------
                  HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Working...
                  X