Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salads and raw veg in winter

Hey there veggie eaters,

I do pretty well eating salads and raw veg in the summer when it's hot and I don't want to eat warm, heavy foods. However, in winter salads just stop sounding good. I used to eat raw veg in the winter dipped in warm hummus - but of course hummus is out now. What I want is warmth and bulk in the winter.

Any ideas/recipes on how to make salads and raw veg warm and bulky?

Note: I do like cooked veg but am asking about raw veg because I often have no time to cook in mid-winter and often am not even in a place where I can cook for meals.

I eat more salads in the summer too. I get around it by eating it with a steak or with paleo meatloaf. I love the mix of the salad and meat
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

So you just put the meatloaf on top of the salad? Does it wilt the lettuce?

Comment

You could toss veggies in hot bone broth; the veggies will cool the bone broth a bit, and the bone broth will warm the veggies.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

This is my second winter eating Primal. I have never really given it much thought, but it just comes naturally to me to eat more salads/raw vegs. when the weather is warmer, which here is Spring, Summer and Fall; and mostly steamed vegetables during the coldest months.
          I also use cooked vegetables in many of the meals I prepare year round.

To try and answer your question, what about fresh vegetables lightly steamed?

Comment

I just eat raw veg...
            Mixed cabbage and carrot based salads, lightly steamed so butter will melt on top.
            --
            Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
            I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
            I'd apologize, but...

Comment

when the weather is warmer, which here is Spring, Summer and Fall

Comment

I agree...I start to crave heartier veggies...and cooked in these cooler months! Maybe just do more soups with cooked veggies? Maybe we shouldnt look at this as being a bad thing...we are just more tuned into the seasons! I still do salads...but usually like EarthyMama...lettuce with meat on top. Wilted lettuce is lovely---especially if wilted with some bacon fat!
                Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sarasue624 View Post
                  I used to eat raw veg in the winter dipped in warm hummus - but of course hummus is out now. What I want is warmth and bulk in the winter.

Any ideas/recipes on how to make salads and raw veg warm and bulky?
                  What about a warm roasted red pepper dip rather than the hummus? Roast up the peppers, toss in some good olive oil, maybe some walnuts, garlic, black pepper...so tasty. To me, the veggies carrying the dip to my yap are secondary to the dip itself...

Soups and stews are a great way to get more veg in, as well...Just toss in whatever's in the crisper, plenty of herbs and spices, some chicken, pork or beef, and you're good to go.

Comment

Why is this a problem? If you ate local and in season, you'd eat raw in the summers more and cooked root veggies and tough greens in the winter.

Comment

Working...
                    X