Coconut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut

The local Whole Foods carries husked (if that is the right term) coconut - the shell has been removed. It isn't that expensive and I've been tempted to buy one - but I don't know what to do with it. I do love coconut but this is a little intimidating. Part of me is a little concerned that my hands might not be strong enough to cut into it - I've some arthritic hand issues. Is this a valid concern?

What would YOU do with this coconut? I need ideas I don't know how "fresh" it really is since the shell has been removed...

Who said you need to cut it? Just smash it with a rock or something. PRIMAL!

Tbh, I can't really think of any specific use for it that you couldn't get out of shredded/sliced coconut, although I guess it might be cheaper.

Comment

Do you mean the young Thai coconuts?
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
        Do you mean the young Thai coconuts?
        Probably, I don't remember a name on them but if you are familiar with WF selling then in that way then that is what they are. It is less than $5 so it seems a less expensive way to get some good shredded coconut. If I can break it open with a hammer or something, I assume my food processor could shred smaller chunks.

Comment

You'll want to drill into it and get the water out first. Then put it into a bag and hammer away. Younger coconuts are easier.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            You'll want to drill into it and get the water out first. Then put it into a bag and hammer away. Younger coconuts are easier.
            Sounds like a quite primal approach and also a good form of stress relief Thanks!

Comment

Asian markets tend to have baby coconuts for around $1.00. They are much easier to eat, the flesh scoops out like butter.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Asian markets tend to have baby coconuts for around $1.00. They are much easier to eat, the flesh scoops out like butter.
                I will check this out, thanks!

Comment

+1

Watch the first minute of this:
                  Raw Food Episode 14 - Opening a Young Thai Coconut - YouTube

After you pour and drink the water (or drink it strait from the coconut!), use a spoon to scoop and eat the meat. If it's a Young Thai Coconut, the meat will be a jelly consistency. My stores have them for around $2.50, but an Asian market is probably even less. I just ate my first one and it was GREAT!

Comment

only thing I do with coconut is drink the water. I have some every day, enough to add about 700mg of potassium into my daily intake because I just don't get enough from food sources. Even with the coconut water I fall well short of even what the government recommends I intake.
                    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Working...
                    X