Flank Steak Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flank Steak Questions

I found a good price for grass fed flank steak but I have to buy a lot of it to get the price.

Does it work well in a lot of recipes? Do you use it often? Anything I should know about it (too lean, too fatty, etc.)?

Thanx in advance for any tips and info!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

We think it's awesome at our house. We always slow-cook it, and with different marinades it's a completely different meal each time.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I like it... but not so much as skirt.
      Its lean, but in a good beefy way.

I NEVER slow cook it. I prefer it marinated then grilled fast and hot to the rare side. Anything in the medium to rare range would be fine IMO. As it's a lean cut I wouldn't ever want it cooked any more than that. And I don't consider it "roast" (as in long braise) worthy because of it's lack of connective tissue. Other lean roasts that I do, such as large round roasts, I also cook med-rare.

Be sure to slice it across the grain... the fibers are long and thick/stringy on this cut. If you don't cut across the grain you find it awful to chew. But it's great if sliced properly just like skirt.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Cool! You both told me just what I need to know. Thank you.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
        X