No announcement yet.

The Non-Recipe Recipe Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i set my smoke alarms off all the time when i cook steak LOL and i like it rare!! i keep forgetting the blue cheese when i go shopping but the principle of cook the meat, add some veges, melt in some cheese and sauce it with cultured cream and the juices works quite well. the other thing i do is steam veges with broth which reduces the broth nicely. then when you remove the meat to rest, deglaze the pan with some wine and add in the broth from the veges and reduce to gravy or thicken with some tapioca.

Comment

This looks like a recipe, but it's just something I threw together from what was in the house. As always, use grass fed and organic as much as possible. I've named it Ooey Gooey Sorta Mexican Meat Loaf.

1 lb ground beef seasoned with garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric to taste
      1 tblsp tapioca flour (almost any primal flour will do here)
      2 eggs
      chopped tomatoes
      pickled jalapenos
      7-8 oz sliced cheddar cheese

Mix together seasoned ground beef, tapioca flour, and two eggs.

In a loaf pan layer in the following manner from bottom to top:

Some of the juice from the tomatoes
      Ĺ the meat mixture
      some tomatoes
      some jalapenos
      enough cheddar to cover everything
      Ĺ the meat mixture
      some tomatoes
      some jalapenos
      more tomatoes
      more jalapenos

Bake at 375 degrees F for 75-90 minutes or until top layer of cheddar begins to brown, and a test of the most inner ground beef isnít red/pink. (Unless you like pink beef, in which case go for about an hour to 75 min.)

Remove from oven and let set up for 15-30 minutes. Slice like a meatloaf and eat. Yum.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Oh I like the beef mushroom idea! Kinda like a noodle-less beef stroganoff. Sold!

Edited to add, this was supposed to go after the post about the beef patty in mushroom with sour cream. Duh.

Comment

This morning I put some five spice in my coffee. Stove top espresso maker. Put coffee grounds in first, then a smidge (less than a quarter teaspoon) of five spice, then coffee grounds on top of that.

It was very good, but a bit too much for first thing in the morning. However, I did it again at 3pm, and it was the absolute perfect different take on that afternoon cuppa espresso.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Tonight I threw together the following in a pot over medium-high heat...

- leftover rotisserie chicken, cut up
            - 1/2 can of coconut milk
            - about 1.5 cups chicken broth
            - 2 cups baby spinach
            - about 1 tbsp fresh ginger, crushed
            - about 2 tbsp madras curry powder
            - about 2 tsp each of dried cilantro, garlic powder, and paprika
            - about 1 tsp each of cumin and tumeric
            - a couple of dashes of salt
            - about 2 tbsp each of olive oil and minced garlic

I put the olive oil and minced garlic in the pan first until the garlic was fragrant. I added everything else, stirred, brought it to a simmer for about 5 minutes, then served. It was just the right amount of spicy and tingly from the ginger and curry, but the coconut milk and spinach gave it a nice, cool aftertaste. Yum!
            >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
            >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
            >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Filled avocados!
              Grill some prawns, peel them (about 3 per avocado) and dice them. Let them cool down a bit while you prepare the rest
              Chop some tomatoes (a medium one per avocado, more or less), a bit of onion (really thinly... just add more or less depending on you personal taste) and about half a chili per avocado.
              Cut the avocados in half and carefully empty the "shells" and dice the fruit.
              Mix everything together (vegetables, avocado and prawns) with some lemon juice, olive oil (or oil of preference), pepper, and a bit of salt
              Fill the avocado "shells" with the mixture. it can be eaten straight away or stay in the fridge overnight (the lemon will prevent the avocado turning brown)

Love this thread!

Comment

Joanie, I never thought to put feta in with the ground lamb, that sounds delicious!
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

tdugmen, great idea!

Urban Forager, even though this is a non-recipe thread, I read this recipe: Lamb Feta Burgers with Tzatziki Recipe - Delish.com to get an idea of what goes into Tzatziki sauce.

B*tch-lite

Comment

Been making my primal scrambles recently

8 oz grass fed beef
                    3 scrambled pastured eggs
                    3 oz organic spinach
                    2 oz sugar pea pods
                    3 oz carrot sticks

Combine with extra virgin olive oil, rosemary, and oregano and heat

Comment

I love so many things in scrambled eggs and that looks like another winning combination.

Avocado soup: Homemade broth heated to almost a boil. Cube up half an avocado and throw it in a blender. A nice squirt of lemon juice. Pour hot broth over avocado and lemon. Blend 'til frothy. Garnish with nori. (Soup was such a lovely green on green; pic sucks.)

B*tch-lite

Comment

yum curlygirl....I miss cereal...going to make this!!! will start out a small amount as need to lose weight!

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          I love so many things in scrambled eggs and that looks like another winning combination.

Avocado soup: Homemade broth heated to almost a boil. Cube up half an avocado and throw it in a blender. A nice squirt of lemon juice. Pour hot broth over avocado and lemon. Blend 'til frothy. Garnish with nori. (Soup was such a lovely green on green; pic sucks.)

I love soups, I'm totally doing this one!

Comment

I sliced up some ox heart into cubes last night and didn't know what to know what to marinate them. But I found something.

Ox heart cubes with paprika, tumeric, ground cumin, seeds and left to soak in balsamic vinegar over night then fried in butter the next day = a foodgasm full of win.
                            Especially when served as nachos.
                            Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                            https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                            MFP Food Diary:
                            http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                            (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

AK47, great idea for heart! With the whole snout to tail movement, I can see heart nachos appearing on menus soon.

So mine for today is very simple: beef bone broth + nori cut into strips + a splash of yogurt. Simple things like this make me wonder why I ever ate cream soups from cans.

B*tch-lite

Comment

No heat required: Mashed avocado and chopped tomatoes. Sardines from a can. Chipotle salsa.

You don't have to give up Fried Green Tomatoes. Slice tomatoes. Dip in egg wash. Dredge in 1:1 ratio of potato flour to grated parm. Season to taste. Fry in lard.

B*tch-lite

Comment

Working...
                                X