The Non-Recipe Recipe Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a weird one.

Two leftover egg whites from my sweet potato fries (I use the yolk as a coating) whipped up like a meringue, then added two mashed bananas, two or three teaspoons of cocoa powder and a tablespoons of almond butter with a bit of squeezed orange juice for taste. Mixed it all up, slammed it in the freezer for a few hours and voila, a weird Paleo ice cream concoction thingy.
    Was nice with strawberries.
    Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
    https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
    MFP Food Diary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
    (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

In another thread, someone mentioned curried liver with eggs. Tonight I did it with a bit of potatoes. Chicken livers (about a pound), onions, potatoes (about four ounces), some almond milk, lots of curry powder (it was hot), and a packet of truvia. Yum city.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        Last night dredged (lightly) some oysters in tapioca flour. Put them on a bacon greased baking pan (a cookie sheet or bottom of two-part broiler pan would work). Topped each one with a tiny piece of each: butter, provolone cheese, jalapeno. Put under low broiler setting far enough away that they wouldn't char. 10 minutes. Let cool just enough that you can get a spatula under them and the cheese doesn't stay in the pan. Omg, that came out far better than I thought it would.

I think parmesan would work on this also and give it a crunchier rather than meltier feel. Also, I'm not sure the tapioca flour really added anything and next time I'm going to try it without. Oh, and you want to drain and pat dry the oysters before dredging.
        Oooh. Thanks for the inspiration. I think dredging them directly in the parmesan might work. I'm going to give that a try.

Comment

I'm wracking my brains for some means of "flouring" things ... tapioca flour is something I have in, in bags, but it doesn't cook well without going slimy and ... for me ... unappealing.

Baking flour things is something I've not considered. Thanks for the idea.
          Paul
          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

I adore almonds, pecans, raisins and unsweetened coconut flakes in a bowl of almond milk! Tastes like sweet granola cereal to me. LOVIN' this thread too
            FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Comment

Shred some cheese in a frying pan. Let it melt and move it so it thins. Dump some almonds on top. As the cheese cools it becomes hard and crispy. Cheddar works really well for a nice cheesy crunchy snack.

Comment

Originally posted by cheekymonster View Post
                Shred some cheese in a frying pan. Let it melt and move it so it thins. Dump some almonds on top. As the cheese cools it becomes hard and crispy. Cheddar works really well for a nice cheesy crunchy snack.
                Oh I wish I did dairy - your killing me! Sounds great!

Comment

I really dig this way of making chile. Not mine but I make it all the time. Has cocoa too. I usually shake it up a bit each time with some hot peppers, shooms, different protein choices and more cocoa.

My Favorite Chili Recipe | theclothesmakethegirl

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post
                    I'm wracking my brains for some means of "flouring" things ... tapioca flour is something I have in, in bags, but it doesn't cook well without going slimy and ... for me ... unappealing.

Baking flour things is something I've not considered. Thanks for the idea.
                    Coconut flour works.

Comment

Tapioca does work for me, but you have to get the oil pretty hot, and so far I've only "fried" squid. Bacon fat has worked the best so far, but I'm going to try new flours until I find the best for that one dish.

If you would have told me that the thing I'd go batshit trying to duplicate primal-ly would be fried squid, I'd have thought you were nuts. But there you have it. I'm good just cooking pizza toppings in a pan, then melting the cheese. I've even turned lox and bagels into a (fanfreakintastic) lox and goat cheese "sushi," and don't miss the bagel.

But really good fried squid eludes me.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

sweet potato, red onion, cumin baked.

Comment

Mix up a nice egg scramble in a bowl with whatever deliciousness you like (flaked salmon, veggies of diverse kinds, etc). Then instead of scrambling, line a muffin tin with a slice of bacon per divet (I actually use 1/2 a slice), and pour the egg concoction into them - about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 30 min or so, and you have delicious little egg bombs! They freeze and reheat quite well, especially if you're down with microwaving things - say if you're stuck at work and need a quick, primal snack/lunch/breakfast. Super-handy, and has saved me from worse options. The muffin tin will be WAY easier to clean if you also use those little paper cup things.

Same with meatloaf. Whip some up (I've found that the breadcrumbs you usually put in meatloaf are entirely unnecessary - add parmesan cheese, if you want). Make large meatballs instead of a loaf. BAM - meatloaf bombs. Same deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha the Cat View Post
                            Mix up a nice egg scramble in a bowl with whatever deliciousness you like (flaked salmon, veggies of diverse kinds, etc). Then instead of scrambling, line a muffin tin with a slice of bacon per divet (I actually use 1/2 a slice), and pour the egg concoction into them - about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 30 min or so, and you have delicious little egg bombs! They freeze and reheat quite well, especially if you're down with microwaving things - say if you're stuck at work and need a quick, primal snack/lunch/breakfast. Super-handy, and has saved me from worse options. The muffin tin will be WAY easier to clean if you also use those little paper cup things.

Same with meatloaf. Whip some up (I've found that the breadcrumbs you usually put in meatloaf are entirely unnecessary - add parmesan cheese, if you want). Make large meatballs instead of a loaf. BAM - meatloaf bombs. Same deal.
                            sweet!! thank you!

Comment

Baked banana: Place whole bananas (in peel) on baking sheet (put on parchment or aluminum foil because they may split and get messy) and bake at 350 for 25 min. They will turn black. Cool a bit, and peel. Eat by itself, or top with greek yogurt, honey and sliced almonds
                              Last edited by Nursenadine01; 12-04-2012, 07:13 AM. Reason: added oven temp

Comment

Originally posted by Nursenadine01 View Post
                                Baked banana: Place whole bananas (in peel) on baking sheet (put on parchment or aluminum foil because they may split and get messy) and bake for 30 min. They will turn black. Cool a bit, and peel. Eat by itself, or top with greek yogurt, honey and sliced almonds
                                What temp do you bake it at?

Comment

Working...
                                X